Tinkerbelle

would you Sue the canopy manufacturer

Someone has to take some kind of responsibility..
So if someone builds a Defective Canopy and knows about it or not its Defective...Someone gets hurt..Good packing all correct equip to include Pilot chute whos
gonna be held accountable here???

Bottom line is the Skydiver supposed to take the loss??

yes.

without the people who take risks and push the limits we would be no where. We would all be sittin in caves still eating gopher on a stick. All the people who jumped before us and took those risks made it safer for all of us. All the people who sued before us made it more expensive for all of us.

I'm sorry, but I have to go with the Canada thing. We don't sue much in Canada, and sometimes i just don't understand.........

Nope. I've read the bright orange label the comes on the canopy :)

Ditto

Besides we all know the risks involved. We make up our own minds whether or not to jump and which canopy to use, etc.
**Those who refuse to live and learn simply exist**

No I wouldn't sue.

And I am currently dealing with neck problems. I'm sure a good lawyer "could" pursue a claim that my neck problems were caused by a hard opening I had.

Funnily enough, the hard opening I'm talking about was on a canopy known for opening soft.

No, that wouldn't be a "good" lawyer; that would be a "scumbag" lawyer, the kind who wants to encourage you to reneg on all the stuff you signed acknowledging that skydiving has inherent risks, and that these include injury, dismemberment and death.

I would not sue, because I have agreed to not sue. I don't necessarily feel I agree with the part where you say you won't sue EVEN IF there is OUTRIGHT NEGLIGENCE, but barring malice or negligence, I think that the skydiver assumes risk by taking part in the sport.

As has been said, you can make lots of canopies open hard. Who could say after the fact, for sure, that the slider had been positioned correctly for a soft opening? Even on "known" hard openers, I'll bet there are things that can be done to get them to open more gently. This kind of thing is a user's responsibility -- to know the REPUTATION of the equipment before it is purchased and jumped, and also to know how to pack and use the equipment to best effect.

Suing a canopy manufacturer when they did not make an objectively defective product is bullshit, like suing a gun company because someone used their product to commit murder, which could not be stopped by the manufacturer of the gun. Once the product leaves the factory in a serviceable state, it is out of the manufacturer's control and responsibility.
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"