lilryno

Any Skydiving Number Crunchers out there?

I'm wondering about malfunctions and fall rates. Wondering if some of you smarter more experienced jumpers could check my assumptions regarding fall rates with malfunctions. I'm going to use these calculations in a malfunction simulator/drill on the ground. (I'm assuming a canopy with a 1:1 wing loading). These numbers are complete wags and NOT to be considered good. I do not know what I'm talking about which is why I'm asking for help!

Assumption 1: Typical freefall results in loss of 1000' per 5 seconds.

Assumption 2: Typical canopy performance results in 1000' per minute loss of altitude with a good canopy and no demand put on it.

Assumption 3: A total malfunction results in 1000' per 5 seconds altitude loss.

ASSUMPTION 4: A ball of crap, streamer, results in a fall rate of 1000' per 5 seconds (increase in drag from nylon offset by sitting jumper up in harness).

ASSUMPTION 5: Bad Lineover malfunction results in 50'/sec loss of altitude (3000' per minute) with slider not down.

ASSUMPTION 6: Linetwists result in 1200'/minute loss of altitude.

ASSUMPTION 7: Any strong spinning malfunction results in 2000' per minute loss of altitude.

Thanks very much for any pointers or corrections!

"The value of man lies not in the knowledge he possesses, or means to possess, but in the sincere pain which he hath taken to find it out." - G.E. Lessings

Yeah, I posted it both in General Discussions and in Safety and Training. Is that a foul? I'm new to the forum environment...

"The value of man lies not in the knowledge he possesses, or means to possess, but in the sincere pain which he hath taken to find it out." - G.E. Lessings