stuffit

San diego DZ's

If you are a san diegan or somewhere nearby, will you be jumping at Skydive san diego or Skydive southern california? Just curious if some people will be switching over from Otay to Brown Field. Let us know your reasons why (besides the fact that otay always bumps you for students).

Other question: Does otay still have the cypress requirement of over 1000 jumps? I noticed they took it off of their website.

If you are a san diegan or somewhere nearby, will you be jumping at Skydive san diego or Skydive southern california? Just curious if some people will be switching over from Otay to Brown Field.

I jump at Otay, and I've jumped at Brown while the runway was being paved at Otay. I enjoyed the change in scenery. I will likely visit Skydive Southern California as well. I met Joe briefly, and he seemed to be a real nice guy, I wish him well in his endeavor.

Let us know your reasons why (besides the fact that otay always bumps you for students).

Gee, I've never been bumped for students, and I don't resent their presence at the DZ... or on the plane ('course I'm really just a student myself). In fact, I have never heard of anyone getting "bumped" from a load to make room for a student! Sometimes the loads are full...and you have to wait for the next one, but it's always been first come, first serve as far as I have seen.

Other question: Does otay still have the cypress requirement of over 1000 jumps? I noticed they took it off of their website.

I believe that I read a note from Buzz that the CYPRES rule has been waived for anyone with over 1000 jumps... next time I see him I'll try to remember to ask and repost...

...Hopefully, the two DZ's can exist without acrimony and resentment.

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

>If you are a san diegan or somewhere nearby, will you be jumping at
> Skydive san diego or Skydive southern california? Just curious if
> some people will be switching over from Otay to Brown Field. Let us
> know your reasons why (besides the fact that otay always bumps
> you for students).

I've never been bumped for a student. I haven't been at Joe's place yet so I don't know what that place is like yet. At the old brown field, I liked the indoor everything and the restaraunt/bar on the field, but I didn't like the 4 mile ride back to the airport after landing. Joe's place is not in the same building and I don't know how long the ride will be, or if we'll be able to land on the airport.

>Other question: Does otay still have the cypress requirement of over
>1000 jumps? I noticed they took it off of their website.

AFAIK they do.

I've never been bumped for a student.

Its only happened to me a couple of times. I was just joking around. It was just to say that I get the feeling at otay alot that we (experienced jumpers) are not that important to them. All in all, I like otay and I dont know when I will go check out Brown.

For some reason there is some favoritism and some instigating brewing from this post.

I doubt that either DZ would appreciate this.

I will no doubt jump at both DZ's depending on the events going on...

In the words of Carmen Mullenix..

"I am a Southern California jumper"
"I'll jump where ever they're flying to altitude"

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

a lot of people who live in San Diego but do not jump there

Yah, I visited a couple of times and got the impression they didn't really care for experience jumpers.

I've noticed that bad mouthing a dropzone seems to be frowned upon in these forums.

I'm going to give Skydive SanDiego another shot this weekend, while I'm checking out Skydive Southern California.

They are within 10 miles of each other.

I live in San Diego, but I normally jump at Elsinore. I did my student stuff there and now that I am off student status, I jump there because I know everyone and feel very comfortable there. I am making my first trek to another dropzone when I go to Perris on the 27th. But that will be the very first time I have jumped anywhere else. I would jump at either, tho the bathroom issue at Otay is huge. . .I really would like a bathroom. . .

Perris and Elsinore are 20 minutes from each other and have coexisted for a long time. Each one brings its own flair. I believe the same will happen for San Diego and SoCal. They will learn to coexist and compliment each other nicely. I wish the best to both dropzones and do plan on visiting both now that I have my A license. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

You really ought to visit San Diego again. Much has changed in the short time I've been here. Weekends are great fun... with a lot of great people.

Andy has taken over the DZ, and has made a great effort to improve relations with fun jumpers.

I can personally say -- I am at home at Skydive San Diego.

I see how you could feel comfortable with the people because you did AFF there. I did AFF in elsinore as well because i had "heard" alot of not so good things about skydive sd. And then I actually went there. The place is cool. There are just as many cool people in san diego as in elsinore (i like the crowd better in san diego). You would have to be crazy to not give either of the san diego dropzones a try since you live so close.

I did my first levels of AFF at San Diego. And when I tried to finish to get my license it was a pain in the ass.
I ended up in Perris with Jim Wallace and he took me through the paces to finish up on my A.
About a year later I returned to San Diego and reintroduced myself to the crowd there.
I don't blame San Diego for their inability to fit my needs at the time, because I got the opportunity to venture out to Perris and meet others.
Now I pretty much stay down at Otay unless there is a boogie or some sort get together.
It would be nice if that developed into something now that it has two DZ's and the best view aside to Skydive Monterey...

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I did AFF in elsinore as well because i had "heard" alot of not so good things about skydive sd.

I never heard anything bad or not-so-good about Skydive San Diego. . .I met quite a few people there when my roommate went to jump their the first time I ever went to a DZ. . .I ended up at Elsinore for AFF because my roommate was doing 2-way skills camp there and I got to meet quite a few people. . .

I will definitely jump there. I don't have anything against the DZ at all. . .(except the lack of permanent bathrooms). I just got off student status though so havent jumped anywhere else except Elsinore. . .also, I gotta wait for my cypres to get back from its 4 year so I can jump at SD. With my jump numbers, they require an AAD. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

<<<<>>>

The new portable mens & Ladies bathroom unit has been delivered and is in the process of being set up. Flushing toilets, sinks and showers included. It took alot of paperwork to finally get approved but will soon be operational. Cudos to Andy Witcomb for making it happen.

Blue Skies!

Buzz

The new portable mens & Ladies bathroom unit has been delivered and is in the process of being set up. Flushing toilets, sinks and showers included.

That is so good to hear Buzz. . .I am glad that this issue got resolved. I am sure it will be good for business. . .Thanks for the news. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Well, instead of the two way skills camp, Otay has the Icarus team. These guys are cool as hell and are always willing to help anyone out with freeflying regardless of experience. And they are always at the dz.

Note: I did notice that skydive sd's website no longer had the cypress req'd thing on it (not sure what that means). And Brown fields new dz does not require cypress at all, from what I understand.

Please Ed. . .you really don't have to convince me. . .

I will come visit soon. . .I have commitments for the next three weeks, but after that I will come. . .I promise. . .lol!

Edited to add: But you need to show me the ropes and make sure I have a good time when I am there. . .:S
FGF #6
Darcy

Edited to add: But you need to show me the ropes and make sure I have a good time when I am there. . .

Whoa...I think you might have taken that the wrong way. Trust me, I have no interest (I am practically married...:S). I just think it is crazy when people drive that far out of their way when there is a dropzone(two now) right here.

Dude, relax. . .I wasn't asking for your hand in marriage. . .just point me in the right direction. . .lol!

Ya know, good spot for landing IN the landing area, introducing me to people, etc. . .:P
FGF #6
Darcy

No harm, no foul. . .

Sounds good. . .there are several peeps who jump down there that I don't know yet because I go to Elsinore. . .(by the way, Elsinore is only an hour drive and in California, that seems short. . .I am originally from Los Angeles, i.e.; used to hour long drives). . .gotta make it down there to meet them. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I know of many people down here in SD that will jump with you...

Always nice to meet a new face.

The skill levels vary so there is no need to feel intimidated. And for the most part there are a lot of recent graduates...

G

I usually jump at Skydive San Diego but am looking forward to checking out Brown Field(waiting for my gear to arrive). I only have 33 jumps and have made them at 5 different dropzones and have not found one that I didn't like. People tend to trash talk other dz's but I think it's more home dz pride than an actual dislike for the other dz.

woa....that was cool....