xdoctor

help for a newbie

I just finished my fifth static line jump this afternoon and I've been having a recurring problem that I'm hoping someone may have the answers to here.

My first four jumps were on student gear, mirage containers and triathalon 280 mains. On every one of those jumps, no matter how tightly I seemed to adjust the leg straps they ended up cutting into my legs so bad I could only make one jump a month and then wait for the bruises to heal. I also noticed on all of these jumps that the chest strap came all the way up to my chin every time. I had an instructor check everything and he said he thought I was just a little too big for his harness. (I'm 6'3" 235lbs)

So I got together with my jumpmaster and long time friend and I bought a new rig built to fit me. Its a Racer with a Triathalon 230. I jumped it for the first time today and had the exact same problem, except this time I caught my new chest mounted altimiter in the teeth. ouch. But I looked real closely at what was happening on the way down and I noticed that there is a good 3" between my shoulders and the top of the harness while under canopy.

If anyone has any idea as to how I might remedy this problem I'd love to hear it. I'd really like to keep jumping, but the "walking funny" time after each jump is just more than its worth right now. Any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.
The flying hamster of doom rains coconuts upon your pitiful city.

I always have a fair amount of room between the harness and top of shoulders. I'd say a good 1.5 to 2 inches maybe? It sounds like you "sink" in the harness too much, but you said you tighten the leg straps good... wierd problem you have there. You wear a very baggy jumpsuit? maybe you think you have the leg straps tight when you don't? That would be my guess....

Just a suggestion. I'm a newb too, so take this with a grain of salt :)

Nick.

Those who dance, are cosidered insane by those who can't hear the music.

I got a bit of a fat lip from my radio (I think)on my last S/L. I think my leg straps were a bit too loose. I'm only 5'7", though. I'll make damn sure they are tight next time. It felt to me that they were tight when I boarded, but I guess this changes on deployment.

By no means have I conquered fear, but I have knocked the crap out of it.

Tighten up those leg straps as much as you can. Get them all the way up into your crotch and tighten them down so they move as little as possible.

Top secret guy stuff -- uh, you might wanna leave a little room for your, uh, package. If you have a slightly baggy jumpsuit in that area, kinda squat like a Sumo wrestler, pull one leg strap way up on one side and tighten it down. Leave some wiggle room in the jumpsuit material for your package and then pull the other one all the way up and tighten it down. Sure, your stuff is going to be hanging out, but that's -really- where you want it rather than under one of those leg straps.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Uhhuhuhuhu... You said Package....eehhuhuhuhu

Yes what he said, always leave room. If the straps are at the correct location, your -uhm- package should be kinda "hanging out".:D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nick.

Those who dance, are cosidered insane by those who can't hear the music.