Dougiefresh

skydiving injuries

Please tell the situation: gear, conditions, # of jumps, any mistakes on your part, etc.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Well I put this under sprain since that is the only thing I have ever done to myself. However, if you look at the pictures attached it is a little more than your average sprained ankle.
Standard answer to why, stupidity and High Performance canopy, they make great bed partners in the recovery room. I had about 500 jumps and was jumping a Crossfire 2 130 loaded 1.83 to 1. I had not eaten anything that day and was really dehydrated beyond the total stupidity of thinking I was unbreakable. My setup was waaaay off and I still initiated 180° front riser dive to come out of it at the end of the run way going up hill and down wind.
Kirk

Broken thumb. Landed on wet grass at Eloy. So stupid. I took two step and promptly fell.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

My last jump... #192.

Sabre2 135, loaded around 1.1 at most.
Vector 3
Light winds

One brake came unstowed on opening. Started off like a normal opening. Flew straight through the snivel, turned at the last part of the opening... but the turn continued, slowly. Looked up at the canopy trying to see if i had a closed end cell or something. Slider wasn't all the way down, but the canopy looked normal. Spin turned into a spiral and I realized it had to be an unstowed brake. Cleared em, turn stopped.

It was a long spot and I was probably at 2000 feet or so by that point. Made a right turn toward the DZ and picked a field to land in.

At about 1100 feet, I tried a left turn to set up for downwind to a back yard. Left toggle wouldn't move past my shoulder. Tried again...nothing. Decided I better use rear risers for the flare and did one practice flare on downwind. Never attempted a rear riser landing before, and really only used my rear risers to steer immediately after opening before.

Once the flare started, everything happened very fast. Light winds made for a pretty fast approach. I must have flared late because I never really seemed to plane out. I guess it's possible I flared too hard and stalled or something.

Hit the ground pretty hard, not prepared to PLF. I think I twisted my left knee. Not really sure. Hurt like hell but I knew it wasn't anything too bad. I was able to stand up within a few minutes and limp around. That was about 3 weeks ago. Almost healed at this point. Should be jumping again next weekend.

Dave

spiral tib/fib when my tandem student sat/fell on my leg on landing. This was student number 13 (:o). Two years later, I haven't yet worked up the nerve to finish getting the rating [wussy-faced smiley].

I sprained my ankle once when my toe caught a clump of grass on landing. It sucked (and it hurt more than the fractures did)