jeffallen

weekend jumper/license?

For people like myself who can only jump about 3 to 6 times one day of the weekend, is there any real need to have anything more than an A license? Not that I would not like to do more, or eventually get more ratings, I just do not see myself doing any more than what I am doing now. having a wife and kid and a full time job and other respnsibilities, I just dont see myself doing any more than this anytime in the near future, I feel fortunate enough even to get what I get now. Already had to slow down a bit to keep the peace at home. Just want to get a few opinions. Thanks, Jeff

Damn, if your profile is correct and you have over 300 jumps with only a year in the sport, I don't think you have anything to worry about! I have been an off again, on again jumper, with a family and mostly lived near Cessna DZ's where 3 jumps is a good day. I have D and S/L JM, so you can progress a lot with 3-6 jumps on a weekend.

To answer your question directly though, no, you don't need more than an A license to be an occasional recreational jumper. If you want to do night jumps, coach, instruct, or compete, however, you will need higher ratings. Check the USPA SIM for the exact details.

CDR

Never hurts to study up and pass a test here and there. Just to refresh yourself on stuff. Nor does it hurt to keep track of, and focus on, your accuracy. (Accuracy is a survival skill after all). Kinda nice to have that b, c, or d in your pocket just in case situations change and you find yourself hankerin' for a coach rating or fillin' in at nationals or somethin'.

Otherwise... Naw, not really. It sounds like the A is workin' out fine for ya.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

sooner or later you will likely have the opportunity to do something special, say an open field demo, that might require a bigger license. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Most importantly, your whuffo friends will be impressed with more advanced licences.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

jeff, I personally like to have goals. that is one of the things that has always excited me about this sport is that there is always something to strive for. so, be it a new license or rating, manuever in the air, canopy flying style, etc. I tend to have more fun when I am trying something new.

PcCoder.net

Just get the higher licenses...They are easy to get, don't cost much and have privleges once you get them.

Plus they allow longer periods of layoff.
Allow you to get ratings.
Perform at nationals.
Demos..
Ect.

Like I said they are easy...get them.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334