flyingarab

Taking your rig on a plane

If you're traveling with two rigs, put one in the overhead bin and put the other one on! :)
On a more serious note, I travel with my rig all the time. I normally keep in in a big backpack. I've never had a problem going through security. No one has ever stopped me or questioned me about it.

Exactly what she did, she tried talking them round but apparently they insisted. Think the image of lead, wires and battery were a bit to much for them.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

i think this has already been mentioned, but...

There is a set weight for carry on baggage, and most rigs exceed it, certainly on my last flight back from the states...

I had a long argument with the check in clerk who said it had to be checked, i argued it was the most expensive thing i owned, she told me it was over wieght.. eventually i agreed to have it checked but told her if they wanted to open it, they HAD to page me to be present. She said they didn't. I showed her the TSA letters saying otherwise, she said it made no difference as it wasn't the TSA that would do the checking (?) i argued some more and it ended with her saying... "sir, i can have you removed..."

we compromised, i gave it 15 minutes by which time they would know if it needed searching, it didn't...

never fly BA... bastards.... >:(
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I am trying to figure out if it is too much to simply get a huge luggage piece and put both rigs in there and just insure them for $10,000.00. I mean, I could pack them very well and that should remove all problems.

What do you think about simply placing the rigs in a big luggage bag and just having them sent like this? The other option is to simply fed ex them to the hotel I will be staying at.
Sincerely,

FlyingArab
www.flyingarab.com

I don't think I would put both in one bag. What if that's the one bag that gets lost?

You are over thinking this. It will just depend on who is working the station that day.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I don't think I will be checking my rig when I fly. I mean, we have heard stories of bagage being proded and whatnot. I guess I don't trust the chain of people from me letting it out of my hands to me getting it back to not do something that will cause my rig damage. I guess I'm just paranoid.

It might also have something to do with the fact that a good friend of mine works bagage and my mom works for an airline. Too many stories of abused bags, etc. Its one thing if its some clothes.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Tarek

You are restricted to one carry on item plus a small personal item. What flights are you taking and what airline and day. I'm flying out of Terminal A on the 5th. I'll be happy to vouch for you if they give you any static about your business name on your rigs. I would take one on board (the one with your best canopy) and check the other rig in a hard case such as a Samsonite (Travelpro Style like the Flight Attendants use) or one of those plastic scuba gear cases on wheels. I can't remember the name of them but Hutch uses them all the time to travel.

See you at the DZ Saturday.

I am trying to figure out if it is too much to simply get a huge luggage piece and put both rigs in there and just insure them for $10,000.00. I mean, I could pack them very well and that should remove all problems.

That is what I did going to Nationals last year. I found out that they wouldn't insure it over $5000, and that with both rigs in one case, it was over the weight limit, so I had to pay $60 extra. On the way back I checked one rig (insured to $5000) and carried the other. I think it helped that the ticket agent was a former 82d Airborne troop, and ushered my checked rig through baggage check for me. I was delayed maybe 5 minutes at security, I had the TSA letter, my license, etc.

- Dan G

You shove it back in your gear bag and have a rigger repack the reserve when you get to your destination.

Yes, it's going to cost you $50 or so bucks.

Thats a Bunch of BS man..Cant they Just run the rig through the Scanner and check it if You dont have a AAD installed? Seems a waste of $50.00 to me. and on the Far side Ive been to Dz's where a Rigger was not readily available at the time so You wait and Miss jumps waiting for a Rigger to become available.

The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.