lou_lou

skydive uni

Okay so I've done most of skydive uni and am booked in to finish it over xmas. I am loving it so far but am worried about the transition from 2-way to doing a 4-way. Beginners are always talking about fucking up exits etc. Is it really that hard? My exits are my strongest point but the pressures on as skydive uni is ruddy expensive! I just want it to go well. I do get quite nervous if I'm not sure about something. However, I do recognise that getting nervous about my exit is a bit silly when I'm about to jump out of a plane. Now I'm just babbling. Okay. Reassurance needed!!!:S:P:D

No need to worry, you will f*** up the 4 way. ;) Just relax, 4 way is fun, skydiving is fun. Don't get upset if you blow an exit. It happens to EVERYONE! My favorite picture is attached. It's an 8-way team at my DZ. They probably have an average of 2,000 jumps per person (or more). It’s entitled “Not my day!” No matter who you are you or how good you think you are you will make mistakes. Just accept it and call it part of the learning process. Have fun and quite worrying so much.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Hi Lou,

I liked reading about your post, since it reminded me so much of where I was at last year when I got into the sport. I agree with Ron that you should quit worrying! I know this is easier said than done and I am a living example of the nervous student who repeated so many levels of AFF before getting through. Looking back, I realise that relaxation was the single, biggest breakthrough I achieved when I finally managed to do it! Everyone kept telling me to relax. Everyone kept telling me how to exit. Everyone kept telling me what not to do. It goes on...In the end, I got there.

My advice is simple: enjoy this sport for what it can give you and seek out others who will support, encourage and challenge you. Provided I don't lose sight of the fun element (the reason I got into the sport), I am relaxed enough to enjoy what comes to me.

One final thing. I have come to the conclusion that feeling nervous/anxious before exit is quite normal. Infact, I personally feel more nervous around other jumpers that don't have this built-in response. Nowadays, I recognise the feelings when I am about to jump and accept this as part of the skydive. Someone once said to me that the intensity decreases with time and confidence - I couldn't agree more.

So, good luck - relax - enjoy! You have everything to play for. Who knows, maybe this time next year, you will be passing on similar advice to someone else..!

Dave.:P
My favourite saying is under construction...