peek

Free Win32 Canopy Color Program

As some of you may recall, a number of years ago I wrote several parachute equipment color programs so you could figure out your color schemes on your computer instead of with colored pencils and the order form.

This was long before the popularity of the internet and on-line equipment color programs, so some of you may wonder to what I'm refering.

Dan Poynter and ParaPublishing became my publisher and sold these programs. They still do, but since the programs are quite old and are DOS programs, they are no longer popular. Keep in mind, this was before many people even had a color monitor, and before nearly anyone had a color printer!

These programs started a great relationship with ParaPublishing and I have worked with Dan since.

Well, for the heck of it I went and wrote a new canopy coloring program (for Windows) and it is available for free on ParaPublishing's web site. The links are below.

The program only has the 9 cell and 7 cell canopies to work with, no elliptical shapes, etc., but this covers most custom order canopies, (and surely you can use you imagination on what an elliptical will look like!)

Parapublishing:
www.parapublishing.com

Parachutes and Skydiving Information Resources:
www.parapublishing.com/parachute/resources.html

Direct link to download:
www.parapublishing.com/parachute/programs/cancolor.zip

Edited by Slotperfect to make the links clicky! :)

do you know if anyone has ever tried to make a program that will render out a canopy that you can then rotate on a 360 and look at from any angle? Maybe have it be able to account to the oppacity of certain colors of nylon? What program would be able to do all that?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Nothing too difficult in that. It'd be plenty time-consuming to write, which is probably why it doesn't exist.

Or, if you enjoy playing with 3D modelling programs like 3D Studio MAX or Cinema 4D, any one of a number of similar products could model your canopy for you.

Sorry for the late reply, I must not have had email notification turned on. I don't know of such a program.

----------------------

Questions for the group, however, since there are few replys to this post.

Is there little interest in such a program now? Have the web based programs made a Windows program much less useful?

Were there any problems downloading it from the Para Publishing web site?

If you have not tried it yet, perhaps I need to explain that it is incredibly small, and is a single EXE. No install/uninstall mess, and it does not do ignorant things to your computer. The only files it creates are when you save a color pattern.