alphawolf

Realistic Costs to get into the sport?

Wow.

I just figured out that I have spent over $20K on this sport already (about 1 1/2 years).

I'm including tunnel time in this (which is addicting to me). Also, my first rig was completely new (so almost $6K there). Then, while WAITING for my rig, I was renting gear for close to 100 jumps. I'm also in the process of getting a 2nd rig.

Fortunately, I have a very good job, and a lifestyle that permits me to spend a decent percentage of my income on this (no wife, kids, etc). I've definitely taken the expensive route so far, and unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon (I need more tunnel time... and more jumps... and those new L&B toys look cool... and...).

After about 30 rental gear jumps, my husband and I spent about 8 grand on gear - 2 slightly used rigs(vector3+mirage) w/cypresses, new jumpsuits, altimeters, full face helmets, gloves, bags, etc....

After AFF and gear purchases, it's still expensive. Jumps are only $18-20, but you'll want to jump much more than one a day. Plus, you'll need to maintain your gear. So, be prepared to give up all of your disposable income.

Over the course of one year, my husband and I completed AFF together, purchased our gear, joined a 4-way team (M4), did 6+ hours in the tunnel, made 450 jumps each, and then went to nationals. It was a lot, but the experience was amazing!

After nationals, we decided to take a break. When we return, we figure we don't have to be that intense to stay current. :o