Fab

line over reserve

One great danger is that you cut the wrong line. Flyability after you cut the correct line depends greatly on which line. Generally speaking if you give a couple of shots to get it to release, and the canopy isn't landable as is, then I'd cut it. Of course this assumes you have opened with enough altitude to do anything.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Just wondering.

If you cut a line-over on your reserve...Will a chute still more or less fly normally? How would a canopy behave?

When you cut a line-over you are in affect cutting two lines at the canopy. If you cut the right one, and only one (2 at the canopy) it will fly better than with a line-over.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Related directly to how it will behave. The canopy will be much less problematic the further back the cut line is. A brake line will only effect steering, while an A line will have the possibility of collapsing the nose under itself. Bs and Cs will be somewhere in between those two, but As are definitely a problem. This is more relevant with a main canopy, as I would personally immediately cut away an A line break if I was above my hard deck.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Related directly to how it will behave. The canopy will be much less problematic the further back the cut line is. A brake line will only effect steering, while an A line will have the possibility of collapsing the nose under itself. Bs and Cs will be somewhere in between those two, but As are definitely a problem.

Unless you have really long arms, I doubt you'd be able to cut just a B line without affecting the A as well...;)

I wish it was online because it would be a good visual teaching tool. Jeffro made a parody movie for the film festival where they played "flight club". A wrong answer meant you had to spin the dial to see how many lines you had to cut. Jeffro effectively cut away more lines than one would ever have to short of chopping. He was still able to fly the canopy or I should say, the canopy continued to stay inflated and flying. Besides being extremely funny, the film clip was actually informative as to what happens when one cuts a line(s) while under canopy.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I wish it was online because it would be a good visual teaching tool. Jeffro made a parody movie for the film festival where they played "flight club". A wrong answer meant you had to spin the dial to see how many lines you had to cut. Jeffro effectively cut away more lines than one would ever have to short of chopping. He was still able to fly the canopy or I should say, the canopy continued to stay inflated and flying. Besides being extremely funny, the film clip was actually informative as to what happens when one cuts a line(s) while under canopy.

I have done that type of thing on test jumps, but with a round canopy. Start at front center and cut one right, one left, one right, one left until it is time to leave.:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals