Smeger

Flying Headdown!

How long did it take to get the hang of flying headdown? (DZ.com rules B|).

"REAL heads down" or "Fall like a slick brick/and head to Earth"?
I Speed dive and freefly heads down is DIFFERENT:ph34r:

Pretty long time if you're an average skydiver. Bit shorter if you jump a lot.

I've been working on my HD since around jump 280. Right now I can transition to HD from sit/back to sit on heading, regulate my descent rate somewhat and fall down the tube, basic turns and modest back/forward movements. Can't fly daffy yet (haven't tried much to be honest) and that all relaxed "dude, this is soooo easy" pose is still very much far away. I mean basically I can be HD and have all the Sierra Hotel fliers fly around me and mock me. Sorta like an AFF student compared to a hot 4-way team :P

Best advice is to get good instruction. I had Tim Strauss take me up for 10 jumps and then had another three with Juan Carlo from 1st School. Learned more from them in those jumps than I did fumbling around on my own.

Look in the freefly forum - there are a number of threads on this issue. There are several things you must take into consideration before attempting to go HD - it's well explained in those posts. HD may be stylish, but it does add danger, to you and others, especially if you're new at it.

Oh, it's mainly the position of your legs. You can fly with your legs straight and apart to the sides (spread eagle) or daffy, where the legs are positioned with one forward and the other backwards, out of the burble of the arms.

Uhm, mucked up that explanation, but I hope you get the picture :)

How long did it take to get the hang of flying headdown? (DZ.com rules B|).

You have three jumps now and you still haven't got it down??! What the hell's the matter with you?!

It's an intuitive thing. If you don't have it right as you start skydiving, chances are you never will get it.

LOL! Of course, I'm totally full of it, there. I myself am going to get coaching and tunnel time soon to learn how to start doing it. And then I'll spend a few thousand jumps working on it. :P

Good luck.

Time and instruction and practice. That's what'll do it.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

lol yeah man. I was going to give it ago on my second jump, but my tandem instructor wasn't to thrilled when I tried to spin us on our heads lol.:D

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. Looks like I got another main goal to practice, safety and headdown practice lol. (DZ.com RULES! B|).