Feeblemind

Learning from others

Well I just got done reading through the incident post on themitchyone's lack of a cypres fire due to her activating it at home. For some reason I feel compelled to share a few things my instructor and mentors have taught me (and frequently remind me of:

1) You are responsible for saving your own ass. For me this starts with a top to bottom gear check and activation of my cypress at the DZ. I am also not shy when it comes to asking for a "complete" secondary gear check from someone I trust, as wells as gear checks prior to boarding and on while the plane.

2) Never rush to get on a load, doing so can result in making errors. There will always be another load.

3) You need to push yourself to learn, just don't push to hard. This is hard to word, but being a noob I am trying to soak in as much as I can and have fun. There are certain people I trust do do new things with in the sky.

4) Pull, Pull On Time, Pull Stable

5) I am responsible for getting a landable parachute over my head!! If things go poorly follow your EP's AND NEVER GIVE UP!!!

6) In the the words of a good friend and mentor:
"Don't F*cking DIE"

I must say I feel pretty fortunate to have had and still have a GREAT instructor as wells as coaches and mentors. They have all taught me well and continue to do so.

For those of you that are instructors, coaches and mentors, please remeber you were new once and what you teach us newbies, we will teach as coaches/mentors/instructors when our time comes.

Stay Safe,

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Good post Phil. :)
It's truly sad that, how knowing the gear she saves her life with, wasn't THOURGHLY explained to her as part of her training if that was the case. [:/]

Having the student do a FULL gear check and throughly explain to the Instructor how the gear works and it PROPER usage, before every jump, is what should happen, and in turn using this teaching method may have avoided this fatality IMO. :|

Keepin' it safe!
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

It's truly sad that, how knowing the gear she saves her life with, wasn't THOURGHLY explained to her as part of her training if that was the case.

This was an experienced jumper, not a student. Each of us is responsible for knowing our own gear. The Cypres has an excellent instruction manual, as does every rig and parachute on the market. So, in keeping with the texture of the original post by Feeblemind:

7) Know your equipment. Read and understand the manual.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Having the student do a FULL gear check and throughly explain to the Instructor how the gear works and it PROPER usage, before every jump, is what should happen, and in turn using this teaching method may have avoided this fatality IMO. :|

It's intresting the wording you use Ed, as I was doing my gear check today at the DZ (weather moved in and didn't get to jump) I found myself explaining what I was checking as though you were there quizing me.

It's truly sad that, how knowing the gear she saves her life with, wasn't THOURGHLY explained to her as part of her training if that was the case.

This was an experienced jumper, not a student. Each of us is responsible for knowing our own gear. The Cypres has an excellent instruction manual, as does every rig and parachute on the market. So, in keeping with the texture of the original post by Feeblemind:

7) Know your equipment. Read and understand the manual.

Thanks for the addition :)

Add these to your list....

First dont get in a hurry to do anything. Take your time and relax. Skydiving will still be around when you aren't

Get proficient on your belly even if it takes you more time than you would like.

Always be aware of your altitude. Your life depends on it.

Swooping and freeflying are cool acts performed by cool people with a load of experience. Dont be in a rush to try them.

Fly with a conservative wingloading. USE a Cypres or other AAD.

Make sure your AAD is in date and functioning.

Get coaching. Get Coaching Get coaching.

Practice your EP's every time you put your rig on.

When you decide to start freeflying use an audible, if not use 2 of them.

Do not freefly without the proper gear.

Know where you are going to land, and stick with it.

If you are faced with a long spot after opening find a safe and suitable area to land. Be prepared to walk. Walking a long way is good compared to a short ride.

Learn from the mistakes of others. Do not become a statistic.

Learn how to track. Track like your life depends on it, because it does.

Remember that there is a fine line between life and death in this sport.

Do not become complacent. This sport will eat you alive if you do.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I'm positive it was.

How many novice jumpers have read the instruction manuals that came with their gear?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

This was an experienced jumper, not a student.

Unfortunatly I have to disagree here Tom.
She had how many jumps? 51 or something like that?
Thats VERY close to being a student, and she should have remembered her training, about her Cypres since she used one on her student gear, FRESH as hell in her mind about how it worked if she was trained correctly, don't you think?

Sadly enough though, there are people out there jumping that can't even tell you what their reserve is. [:/]

Keepin' it safe!
Ed

I'm positive it was.

How many novice jumpers have read the instruction manuals that came with their gear?

I haven't even gotten my gear yet and I've already downloaded and read the manuals...but maybe I'm just weird that way....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I would really don't want this post to turn into a flame. Whether she was trained well or knew her gear well is irrelivant at this point. The FACT is she (according to my instruction, coaching and mentoring) made several mistakes which had the most sever consequence. All I wanted this post to be was a learning forum and most of the posts have good information and a few are lighting matches.

SO here is a little more for all you noobs:

Yes I have my A license, But as Ed said I am damn close to still being a student. Due to the fact I am an infant in this sport, Ed is still my instructor (and always will be) Ed is asked many questions on a weekly basis. Ed is not alone in my questioning...I bombard Kieth (DZ ST&A, AFFI and senior rigger), Lisa (friend, mentor and rigger), Jason (coach and the fellar that got me into the sport), Markus (coach, TM, and others I am unaware of), Ryan (coach) , Kimmer (don't know her quals, but one damn fine skydiver) Kim (coach and TM as well as many others) is my point clear here yet? We noobies (I consider under 200 skydives a noob) need to learn and ask questions from the types of folks I have listed above. Will all their answers be the same if you ask two of them the same question? Most likely not, thus all the calls to my instructor. Ed has the final word on questions I have, reason you ask? Hmmmmm he has over 7200 skidives, so many qualifications I can't list them all, watching him at three different DZ's he is respected by the vast majority (hehe can't please everyone) and I SELECTED him to be my instructor.

Please use this post in a positive way to share something you have learned from someone else's mistake or something you learned from someone you respect.

Please DON"T use it to flame.

Blue Skys (actually grey and shitty here today >:()

I know what kind and size of reserve I have, but I don't know what colour it is and I would like to keep it that way.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I don't know what colour it is

Don't be affraid to ask your rigger what color it is BEFORE you need to use it.
Just knowing will help you make a faster decision should you have a premature opening.
Hopefully it's not the same color as your main? ;)

TOTAL knowlegde of what your jumping, before you step out of an airplane, always leaves you a better chance of getting to the ground safely. :)

Ed