efex

American jumpers jumping in the UK

Heya,
I have searched the forums extensively for a similar topic as im sure its been on here before, but cant for the live of me find anything.
Could someone please tell me what requirements there are for people who hold a USPA license to be allowed to jump in the UK. i.e ADD's, BPA memberships etc.

Regards,
Marc

Warwick University Skydiving Club

You'll need BPA, compulsary at all UK dropzones, you can get temp membership for 1 month or buy full if here longer.

AADs are only required for students and A license holders (not sure how an American B license might fit into that, I think they're broadly similar) Some DZs have an all AAD policy, if you know where you might be jumping then we can help you out.

As an American jumping in the UK, I'll share a few observations.

First is that, as some one already pointed out, you will need to join the BPA. If you are going to be here for more than a month you will need to buy the full year membership. If you do plan on jumping here for a while, you should try to have a UK instructor sign off a BPA rating for you.

You will also need an AAD unless you have a B license. I think in the UK you need more jumps for a B than in the US.

Your reserve repack cycle will still be 120 days if it was packed in the US, even though the BPA cycle is 6 months.

The BPA also has some different safety practices than what you typically find in the US - flight line checks, signing in upon completion of a jump, every load has a designated jumpmaster, all jumpers must carry a hook knife and I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting.

All and all it can be a fun place to jump when the weather cooperates - nice people, that unique British humor (I guess I should write "humour") and unaflappable attitude.
I am the captain of my soul.