2fat2fly

Will this be a viable jumpship

Check out airvanusa.com

Arivanusa.com says the max takeoff weight is 4000 lb, and the empty weight is 2200. That gives a useful payload of 1800 lbs. I don't know about where you jump, but in Illinois 10 jumpers with gear + fuel = a lot more than 1800 lbs. By my math, the airvan could only hold 7-8 jumpers.

Also, the climb rate is weak. 788ft/min when loaded to max.

The stall speed is delightfully low, probably due to the fact that it can't carry much weight.

http://www.airvanusa.com/specifications.asp

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Allright, allright. It does have a big door, and STOL capabilities, and looks like a good inbetween plane for a smaller DZ (bigger then a 182, smaller than a Caravan or Porter). It would be similar to a 206/207 in it's capabilities. The new price is less than used Caravan, and similar to a used Porter, without the maintainence issues of a used airplane, and a good long TBO on the engine.

In the end, my opinion doesn't really matter because I don't own or run a DZ. This is a good thing.

Think about it, Cessna debuted the Caravan with only 600 horsepower and later upgraded it to 750 hp.

I'm pretty sure that the Caravan has never been avaliable from the factory with more than a 675hp rating. The -114 engine with it's single side exhause has to be de-rated.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Check out airvanusa.com. I read about it in Flying magazine, and they projected a price around $500,000. It looked to me like a good jumpship, and when I saw the website, they've got a pic of a guy jumping from one.

It's gopt a nomally aspirated piston engine. On a hot day won't make it above 10 grand at gross weight. A turbine version would be great. Talked to the rep at Oshkosh, they may consider hanging an Allison up front instead of a PT-6.

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."