skykittykat

AFF in South Africa

I used to work at Skydive Cape Town and as far as remember, I am pretty sure that they 'prefer' you to have either a tandem or a static line before doing AFF. Having said that they will include the static line 'jump' in the cost of the AFF 1st jump class as a lot of the ground school (canopy control, reserve drills, landings etc) is the same as. I believe they do this to give you the oppertunity to see if this is really for you before you shell out the big bucks.

I stand to be corrected, perhaps they have changed their policy a little in the 2 1/2 years since I was there.

Have you're friend contact the DZ'S directly for exact policies. You will find links to all SA DZ's at www.para.co.za, the official Parachute Association of South Africa website.

Blue Skies!
Paul.

SCT does require one SL jump before AFF, as do most but not all (I think) DZs in SA. A tandem does not count as a first jump for this purpose - a guy who did AFF with me had done a tandem but still had to do an SL jump first.

if it is still true that you have to do 10 static line jumps before doing AFF in South Africa.

I think this is a bit of a misunderstanding, on the normal SL progression you have to do minimum 8 (3 no task and 5 DRPs) before your first freefall, but not to do AFF
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

If that's the case i stand corrected. I jump at JSC in Jo'burg though, maybe our policies differ slightly from Skydive CT as i know a few people who had never done either a SL or a tandem before their first AFF jump.

With the cost of skydiving the way it is over here i can't see the point in shelling our R1300 rand for a tandem, deciding the sport is for you and then shelling out a further R1600 odd rand for your first AFF jump.

Anway, without arguing over SA DZ's policies, to the original poster, here's a link to the Johannesburg Skydiving Club's website:

www.jsc.co.za

And one to the Pretoria Skydiving club, both are great DZ's.

www.iloveskydiving.co.za

Cheers
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Peej is correct, we do not require you to do a S/L jump before AFF!

We hold the course every Saturday at JSC and AFF level 1 is booked for Sunday morning. An AFF student does have the option of doing an S/L jump should they wish too!

Blue skies

Sheri
JSC Admin & manifest Officer

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

Not true at all. At Pietermaritzburg Parachute Club you can go straight onto AFF. The ground school is extremely thorough and our AFF instructors are great too. If you want any more info. feel free to pm me or go to skydivekzn.co.za.

We have 3 AFF instructors who are available to instruct 7 days a week, so not restricted to weekends only:)