agskyboard

Instructor, Coach, and Jumpmaster questions

I'm new to the sport and I had a few questions about skydiving professionals. I understand the "requirements" for instructors and coaches, but what are the duties and requirements of a jumpmaster. I was also curious what the "normal hiring requirements" are for instructors, coaches, and jumpmasters (not the certification requirements, but the average hiring requirements). What do each of these positions pay? And my final question is, if you can't get a job with lower jumps as a coach, what ways can I can cheap or free jumps after jump 100.
Thanks,
Justin

I probably did 20% of my jumps between jumps #150-300 as coach jumps, which are free and possibly paid depending on your dropzone. The easy answer is to talk to your DZO/DZM when you get about 100 jumps and see if they will need any coachs. The big dropzones may have normal requirements, but smaller dropzones will just base it on what they need at the time, so there is no one answer. But you'll probably have better luck with the previously mentioned strategy of packing. If you're on a static line dropzone, then there's a better chance they'll be willing to let you do instructor jumps once you get your rating, because they aren't the most pleasant thing, and most instructors would rather shoot video or do tandems, as the pay is much better.

As to your original question, there is no jumpmaster anymore, the USPA phased it out with the ISP. You are either a coach or an instructor. Instructors can do method specific and coachs can only do general (i.e. coach jumps).

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

It might also help if you fill out your profile properly as people will then know what country and where you jump. This mayhelp people to give you more detailed information as this issue is probably different from country to country and different DZ's.

John
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers