dkmrn

Some exp., where should I start again?

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and would still be considered a newbie to the sport. My question is geared toward instructors and your opinion of what type of training would you recommend for starting in the sport after a long absence?

About seven or eight years ago, I wanted to get into skydiving. My main goal was to get to a level where I could exit the plane by myself. I went through AFF and completed all the requirements and did accomplish my goal. I would have to look back at my log book, but I believe that I have about 14 jumps (I know I am shy of USPA A license status).

My question is, as an instructor, where would you feel comfortable with me starting again? I do not feel it is necessary to repeat the entire AFF course and do not want to do this (would be too costly and might prohibit me from getting back into the sport). I would however want to repeat the class for a first jump since I know that all of that info would be beneficial. My take would be: taking the first jump class as I mentioned and making approximately 3 jumps with a single jumpmaster. I would also be willing to pay an instructor for an hours worth of time on jumps two and three just to bring me up to speed. Please let me know if you think this is reasonable or have other suggestions (And yes, I know that much of this depends on whether or not I am a total idiot when it comes to air safety. But just assume that I am an average student that “gets it” and learns what he is taught). Thanks.

If you showed up at the dz I jump at, you'd probably have to sit through the first jump course and then do a modified Cat D jump (one jumpmaster, linked exit). Assuming that you performed up to standard on that jump, we'd probably cut you loose to self-supervise.

But that's just the dz I jump at. You'll get more relevant information if you contact a dz near you and ask them exactly what you'd need to do to get current and progress toward your license.

Our DZ would be similar to Skyb's.. Assuming that you have your log book for us to refer to. You'd get either recurrency training or sit in on a first jump course, then a modfied Level 4 (one jump master) and go from there based on your performance on the Lv 4.

So, to answer your question, you probably would not need to start all over again, but that's at the discresion of your local DZ.... call them and ask what they expect of you, since that makes more sense than getting random answers from random AFFIs :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You certainly need a good refresh course. Why not registering for a first jump course (including Emergency procedures) oriented toward the IAD (Instructor Assisted Deployment) approach. It will be less expensive and soon your AFF experinece will serve you.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Welcome back!

I'd recommend a complete AFF ground course, then AFF levels 3, 5, and 7. Eight years is a long layoff for only having 14 jumps. I was out for ten years after 800 jumps and was glad that I did the complete ground course (then AFF 4 and 6). I've since worked with a number of returning jumpers with various layoff times and experience levels, and they've all benefitted from a conservative return to the sport.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan