jhilden

Signed logbook??

I made about 30 jumps this year and I've completed everything except the checkdive for my A licence (and because I live in MN I have to wait until April for that >:(>:(>:().

I was just checking out Perris' website for fun and they said that they require a signed logbook to prove that you're a current jumper. Well I have my A lic. proficiency card with all my signatures and I'm sure that's fine for now but once I get my A licence should I be getting instructors to sign my logbook for each jump? And if so how long should I be doing that for?

Thanks In advance,
Cheers, blue skies, and warm weather (stupid Minnesota)

You should have made sure that you had a log book from day 1. It should have been made clear to you by either your DZ or Instructors that you needed to have a log completed after each jump and de-briefing of the jump to record in detail your jump and if you were passed to the next leve, redo a jump, or if you should have went and played golf that day. If your near your DZ, you should try and get a log book, and get the log book up to date the best that you can with the DZ and your instructors. IMHO...blues..Mark
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Well I have my A lic. proficiency card with all my signatures and I'm sure that's fine for now but once I get my A licence should I be getting instructors to sign my logbook for each jump? And if so how long should I be doing that for?

You may wish to check with Perris (or any other DZ you want to jump at). They are using the logbook to verify currency. They may or may not choose to accept the A card as proof of currency. Also, if you do not have a stamped/completed A card, they may treat you as a student not a licensed jumper, which may also require different documentation. Again, to be on the safe side, check with a DZ you're planning to visit before you go.

As for how long you need to log your jumps - as long as you need/want to. There are many reasons you will want to log them:

1) Once you have your A license, your logbook with signed jumps becomes the official record of completion of the requirement for subsequent licenses and instructional ratings, should you choose to pursue those. Keep track of the jumps on which you complete requirements (such as accuracy landings for the B&C license, night jumps for the D license, water training for the B license, RW jumps for the B&C license, etc.)

2) Your logbook verifies currency. I've jumped at 12 different DZs and can only recall two or three that checked my logbook but if I hadn't had a logbook at those DZs, it might have been more difficult (if not impossible) to be allowed to jump there.

3) Your logbook is your own personal record of your progress in the sport, the fun you're having, and the people you're meeting. You don't have to write all that much about each jump, but even at just over 200 jumps, I love going back through my logbook and seeing who I jumped with, all the places I've jumped, and all the cool jumps I've done. I imagine those memories are only going to become more precious the longer I jump.

As the previous poster said, get a logbook (either from your DZ or online at Paragear) and do your best to reconstruct the jumps you have so far. Your instructors may have kept more detailed records of your jumps, your DZ's manifest may have records, etc. Get your instructors to sign the jumps you log, and start logging from now on, getting any licensed jumper to sign them for you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A log book can be more that just a log of all the jumps you have made. If you have someone signing your completion card they probibly wouldn't have any problem signing your log book. Also when you go to different DZs and you meet new people I know of several people who have phone numbers put into logs of people they have jumped with. Different aircraft you jump, as well as a lot of other things I haven't thought of. Part of the social aspect of jumping it logging after you jump. Even if you don't jump with someone as long as they are on the same load as you, you can aske them to sign.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I think any licensed jumper can sign your logbook, whether it was someone you did RW with, who rode up on the plane with you or just saw you take off and not land with the plane.

Without a license you are considered a student. And your logbook should be signed by the instructor or coach that handled that jump.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You should have made sure that you had a log book from day 1.

A little clarification, I DO have a log book that I fill out diligently for every jump, I just never had anyone but myself sign it. When I completed a requirement for my A lic. I just had them sign my prof. card instead.

I guess the real question is: is my log book not valid if another jumper hasn't signed it?

I fully expect to have my logbook checked when I go to another DZ (and realistically I'm not going to go to another DZ until I have my A lic), but are they going to look at it and say "where is the signature from another jumper/pilot?"