Jib

Canopy School at Deland

I spent Saturday with Scott Miller learning how to fly a canopy better. There were four of us in the class and I was by far the least experienced at 26 jumps.

The first jump is an evaluation jump: just do what you usually do. Afterwards, Scott asked what it was that each of us wanted to work on. After each jump, he critiqued the jumps with video, explained another aspect of canopy control and set individualized objectives for the next jump. I learned a lot from Scott's comments to everyone and it helped my confidence and awareness. I realized how much I learned when I was watching people land today.

The price was $25 per jump including jump ticket, video and brief/debrief. For me, the video alone would have been worth it. I thought my first landing was pretty good. But, on review, I flared high and was a little slow in flattening out the canopy. The next jump I popped it up (seemed like a lot), but in reality, all I had to do for a decent landing was ride it out. On the next one, I rode out a X-wind flare and stood it up instead of assuming I had to PLF. Taking a couple wraps on the toggles and watching the ends of the canopy come together and completely stall was an experience in and of itself. (Note: it was a big canopy and up high)

We started around 9, made the sunset load and finished up long after dark. It is designed to be a 5 jump course, but we only got through 4 jumps. Scott was working with us the whole time. He truly loves to talk about canopies and was eager to answer anything we asked. I can't say enough. I'll be back again when I'm ready to grab onto my front risers, if not before.

jib

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I agree with you, Scott Miller is da bomb! I took his class at around 40 jumps and a more advanced class at 200 jumps, and I learned a lot both times. He has a lot of patience and also has a thorough knowledge about canopys since he works at PD and is one of their test jumpers. I'm glad your time in Deland was productive. I just wish I could have been out there to meet you.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sorry, I didn't get to meet you. I was wondering if you were around, but I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it there or PIA until it was too late to post here. Next time...

jib

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I'm going to be spending next Sunday at his course in DeLand. Any advice on extras to bring along (besides gear) that I may not have thought of? Also, since it is just hop and pops, can I go in shorts/shirt or do you recommend a suit?

----------------------------------
Successfully avoiding adult responsibility since 1978!

Thanks for posting your experience it made interesting reading-i have 700 jumps and feel there is so much more for me to learn on handling my canopy and how it behaves-I will be heading to Deland in sept and will be looking to take part in one of these courses. Little time is given to canopy flying in comparison to other disciplines-yet its the one thing we all cannot do without.

blue skies

I took Scott's class a few weeks ago here at my home DZ and also found it extremely helpful. As to what to wear, wear whatever you feel comfortable in. I haven't been standing up my landings, so I wore jeans and a t-shirt. If you generally have good landings, shorts and t-shirt would work just fine. No need for a suit. Have fun!!

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!