Elisha

Do you have Health Insurance?

This poll is leaving out one very big variable.

The skydivers that likely don't have insurance, likely don't have a computer either, and/or don't spend a lot of time surfing the web or on dz.com.

Don't quite agree, but that is probably correct to some extant (e.g. you think 90% I think 40%). But again, this is is an internet poll, some there is inherit adverse selection. Nothing you can really do about it.....and answer my PM!

We use to have pretty good health insurance, about five years ago, then the company we were with decided to pull out of Missouri (where I live). Meanwhile, it was discovered that my daughter had a bone tumor and juvenile diabetes -- she was deemed uninsurable.:( Thanks to the Shriners the bone tumor was taken care of; she is still under their care and in need of at least one more surgery. As for the rest of her coverage, she is on Missouri state insurance, hopefully until she turns 20, but they just keep making cuts. If you do have good health insurance, consider yourself lucky. The statistics below don't address how good of coverage people have, just if they have coverage. Sure, my husband and I have coverage, but with a HUGE deductible -- that's pretty much what people who can't get group coverage get stuck with: high premiums and high deductibles -- America needs socialized medicine. (Please don't shoot me.)

from: http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/Health/story?id=1407369&page=1

Dec. 15, 2005

An estimated 46 million Americans don't have health insurance — but most of them do have jobs — everything from doggie day-care provider to freelance writer and editor.

The uninsured often don't get necessary medical care and, as a result, are in poorer health and more likely to die prematurely than those with insurance. There are six million more uninsured Americans today than in 2000, and that is creating another crisis — a crisis in emergency medicine.

Even people who can afford individual insurance can't always get it. In 45 states, insurance companies are allowed to deny people coverage. So those with certain medical conditions can find it impossible to buy health insurance.

Again, how can I become a citizen of Norway?:)
Canada would be okay too.;)

Quote from a Health Actuary:

"It depends on what type of health policy she was looking at. An employer sponsored group health plan would certainly not exclude accidental injury from hazardous hobbies. A traditional individual plan probably wouldn't, but a person would be wise to check the policy carefully.

Many insurers offer a low-cost short term medical product, designed for healthy people in transition. (Changing jobs and COBRA is too costly, just out of school and haven't landed a job yet. etc.) These policies are set up to be affordable and to provide mostly catastrophic coverage, so they tend to have high cost sharing, and they often will exclude listed hazardous activities such as skydiving to avoid selection problems."