dontbounce

First Jump

I did my first jump at Eloy yesterday. ;)

It was amazing. However, my ear suffered some sort of altitude problem, and I was unable to hear my instructor for the majority of the canopy ride down. Once I landed, I suffered the most painful "ear pop" in my life. Anybody have a similar experience with this?

Also, what do I need to do to be able to go on my own? Just a single AFF, or do I need to get some sort of license?

I saw an ad on a diving site that a "lift ticket" to 13.5 was $26.00. If I had all my own gear, is that all it would cost me to jump?

Lastly, I know it is early to talk about this, but has anybody here ever HALO'ed?

B|B|

Welcome aboard.
First, you'll get used to clearing your ears, it happens to us all. Just pinch your nose and blow. After a while, you be able to clear and won't even think about it.

Next, to qualify for your "A" license form USPA, you need to do at least 25 jumps and demonstrate proficiency in the requisite skills. (This is the very short version of what you need to do)

Plan on spending about $6000.00 your first year in the sport. Think in terms of about $2.5K for lessons (depending on your performance) and anywhere from $3.5 to 6K for your first set of gear (depending what you buy, used vs new etc...) The good news is that after you've got over that hump, all you need to pay for is jumps (between 15 and 22 per jump) and a reserve repack/inspection every 120 days. That's all.

Last, many of us here have HALO'd. It's VERY cool:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Well since you jumped in Eloy, just head right back to where you did your tandem and ask them any quesions you have. Here's the website of the school which has the pricelist, etc:

http://www.skydiveaz.com/students.html

Eloy has some of the best instructors in the world. It's a great place to learn and Eloy only charges like $20 to 13k once you have your license and gear.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080