SWATcop

Getting Back into Skydiving

I have been wanting to get back into Skydiving. I learned to jump at the "Green Beret Sport Parachute Club" at Ft Bragg/ Raeford in 1994. It has been ten years (June 1996) since I got injured (was not able to work for 6 mos) and haven't jumped since.

I had 179 jumps when I got hurt. Can someone tell me what is required to get current again?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I have been wanting to get back into Skydiving. I learned to jump at the "Green Beret Sport Parachute Club" at Ft Bragg/ Raeford in 1994. It has been ten years (June 1996) since I got injured (was not able to work for 6 mos) and haven't jumped since.

I had 179 jumps when I got hurt. Can someone tell me what is required to get current again?

Thanks,
Kevin

Step 1: Go to a USPA DZ.

Step 2: Pay money

Step 3: do whatever your instructor tells you to and jump

Step 4: Buy beer...

I was out of the sport for 14 years after getting my A license and making a total of 57 jumps.

I kept my USPA membership and license current so that was not an issue.

I sat through the first jump class again just to refresh my mind on emergency procedures, then made one "recurrency" jump with an instructor in which all I had to do was a diving exit, get stable and stay relative to my instructor without grips, deploy at the correct altitude, and land.

After that I was good to go.

I was a tad nervous after 14 years off, but hell I get nervous after a few weeks off ;-)
__

My mighty steed

I was out of the sport for 14 years after getting my A license and making a total of 57 jumps.

I kept my USPA membership and license current so that was not an issue.

I sat through the first jump class again just to refresh my mind on emergency procedures, then made one "recurrency" jump with an instructor in which all I had to do was a diving exit, get stable and stay relative to my instructor without grips, deploy at the correct altitude, and land.

After that I was good to go.

I was a tad nervous after 14 years off, but hell I get nervous after a few weeks off ;-)

Thanks for the info, that is what I was looking for. I am sure I will be more than a tad nervous but then again what fun would it be if I wasn't.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

...I am sure I will be more than a tad nervous but then again what fun would it be if I wasn't...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Something I tell first-timers likely applies here: You will be scared, but you'll notice that you're not as scared as you thought you'd be.

My injury only kept me out for nearly ten months, between jumnps #1 & 2.

Welcome back.

Cheers,
Jon S.

Hopefully you've still got at least one of your logbooks. Logbooks and licenses are a huge help, otherwise they might just think you're a poser - and they do have to deal with those types.

I found 2 of my 4 old logs and brought them with me. Took some class time to learn about BOC pilot chutes, which was something new, and to review and practice emergency procedures. Then it was up & away with one instructor for a recurrency that was roughly equivalent to AFF Level 4. And that was that, he signed me off as good to go.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Yes, I have both of my log books and my old A license as well as my B license. I also have my USPA membership renewed under my original membership number. USPA sent me an e-mail to print and use until my card arrives.

I also got an e-mail from Ben, at Skydive Space Center. I guess he sent me one before that I didn't get also. I have to do the first jump course which will be good and at least one jump with two instructors. So iam looking at around $270.00 to get back into it, which is not bad. I am not sure if that includes gear rental, probably not. I am just waiting for a reply to see when the next first jump course is. Looking forward to it.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Well, I did it. I made my first skydive in 10 years Friday, thanks to Skydive Space Center. I have to say I was far more scared on this jump than any other I have ever done to include my first jump. The memory of my accident at 7000 feet 10 years ago was pretty clear in my mind the whole plane ride but I was fine once I got out the door.

I sat through the AFF ground training again and made one jump. I did a couple circle of awareness drills, practice pulls, a couple 180 degree turns and pulled at 6000 ft. Had a great landing under a huge canopy. I will probably do another couple jumps with an instructor if all goes well and I will be back at it. I was very impressed with the instructors there and their experience level. Looking forward to meeting anyone who jumps there since the old crowd I used to jump with 10 years ago seem to be gone now.:)
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Well, I did it. I made my first skydive in 10 years Friday, thanks to Skydive Space Center. I have to say I was far more scared on this jump than any other I have ever done to include my first jump. The memory of my accident at 7000 feet 10 years ago was pretty clear in my mind the whole plane ride but I was fine once I got out the door.

I sat through the AFF ground training again and made one jump. I did a couple circle of awareness drills, practice pulls, a couple 180 degree turns and pulled at 6000 ft. Had a great landing under a huge canopy. I will probably do another couple jumps with an instructor if all goes well and I will be back at it. I was very impressed with the instructors there and their experience level. Looking forward to meeting anyone who jumps there since the old crowd I used to jump with 10 years ago seem to be gone now.:)

Congrats and welcome back to the sky :)
__

My mighty steed