wildfan75

I Can't Believe I Did That!

Have you ever accidently pulled your reserve?!?!

On my 7th total freefall this weekend I had a big "whoopsie"! I pulled my rip cord and didn't go back to arching. It was a hard opening, and my hands went down the front of my chest and my left thumb caught the reserve handle (Note: Students, this is why we arch after we pull!). The wire didn't come all the way out and in my moment of denial thought/hoped maybe I was okay and put the reserve handle back in the harness. The I felt something not normal and looked up and saw two canopies. My first thought was, "F*%k" :oand second was "Evaluate". Since the canopies weren't in a biplane (like the malfunction videos say is flyable) and more side by side (slightly overlaped but not much), I made sure that the main was clear of the reserve and cutaway. I even landed (keeping an eye on where the main was landing so I wouldn't have to buy a new one for the club) within "20 meters" of the peas, good enough to qualify for my class A requirements. And yes, I was able to hang on to all the equipment (rip cord and cutaway handle).

I know I owe beer, and probably a bottle of something to the rigger who packed the reserve (and saved my life). I even heard all the one liners ("Wow, it took me 1,000 jumps before I had confidence in my reserve", "I knew you didn't believe me when I told you that the reserve was orange", etc). Has anyone ever done this? I'd love to hear your story. That's if you're not too embarrassed to share (my pride definitely took a hit but most importantly, I landed safely!).

i had the d-ring handle fall out of the pocket on a hard/line-twistie opening on one of my first birdman jumps. i was amazed at how hard it was to get it back into the pocket while my harness was fully loaded... it took probably 20 seconds of messing with it! the velcro pouch was just pinched shut. i considered just holding the handle in my mouth for a moment and then realized that that would be a pretty darwinian maneuver as my reserve hadn't actually been activated (yet) :$
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

and saved my life

Actually, in this case, you'd have been better off with a load of laundry in your reserve tray, then you wouldn't have had a two out.

I don't have any advice for you. That's just...shit happens?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher