tombuch

Adding Drop Zones to GPS--Update

I am responding here to a post in the Incidents forum about an airplane/skydiver near collision on April 6, 2006. The full thread is available at http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2200533;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

An update on including dropzone locations in the FAA databases. Sorry for the fuzziness of the details, but it appears that there is some motion on this.

Over Memorial Day weekend I went to the lake to drink beer with my friends, but there was a dropzone on the way that I hadn't visited before so of course I had to stop and check it out. There was a gentleman there who is a commercial pilot and we started talking about this subject. He said that he had been to a recent meeting in DC of an (industry? FAA?) group that deals with navigation issues, and that the FAA had agreed to accept information on current dropzone locations (I _think_ from the USPA but that was a few beers ago) and incorporate them into their navigation database.

Again, I am not sure of the details on this, but thought it would be of interest.

Eule

Eule:

See my post earlier in the Incidents thread at http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2200868#2200868.

USPA and FAA are working together to build an inclusive database of all domestic drop zones. That database will then be passed along to manufacturers, who will be pressured into writing code to display the new data. All the necessary standards are close to being established, but there are still a few bugs to work out.

Getting drop zones displayed is an ongoing problem that will take time and resources, and is an issue that hopefully USPA is fully committed to advancing.

I wrote an overview letter to the USPA Board of Directors on May 1, 2006 that covers the problem in detail, and asks for their support. A copy of that letter is attached. I have received several replies from directors, with most supporting the process, and most expressing appreciation for bringing the matter to their attention through an informative, base-line focused abstract.

If you have a chance, let your own regional director know this issue is important to you. You can find their contact information (including email) at http://www.uspa.org/contact/bod.htm. All of the USPA directors should have received my May 2006 letter, and should now be well informed about the issue of digital/GPS presentation of drop zones. I'm comfortable they all support driving the process through USPA, and support the application of USPA resources for this project. Keep your eyes on the itineraries and minutes of BOD meetings for further updates regarding USPA involvement.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Once the data becomes available it should be possible to define SAA data delivery as a ‘safety of flight’ issue, and drive manufacturers to update their software as a means of protecting themselves from liability should an incident occur. For example, if a pilot using a Garmin handheld GPS device is involved in an incident with a skydiver, and the device was not loaded with drop zone data, Garmin might be held partially liable for the incident. Likewise, if an American Airlines jet is involved in a collision with a jumper or jump plane over a database-listed drop zone, but that listing was not available within the company provided FMS, American Airlines and the manufacturers of the FMS devices and the underlying FMS programs might be held liable for damages. This threat of potential liability for failure to provide ‘safety of flight’ data is a mighty big stick that can be used to drive the inclusion of this new data into digital flight planning and display devices.

I think this approach could backfire on the skydiving community. It always makes me nervous when "Safety" is invoked in order to force an issue; even worse, is the fear of Liability. If I were in the business of manufacturing or even selling GPS devices it would make me very uncomfortable to think that I could be held liable for distributing a device without all of the current DZ's in the device's database. How much effort would I be expected to make in order to keep it current? Is it even possible to keep it current? Could I be held liable for not including other hazards like SCUBA diving sites for boaters to avoid?

Assuming that it would be possible to keep such data up-to-date, suppose that a new DZ opens up and there is an incident before the USPA has submitted the dropzone data, would the USPA be held liable?? Should the FAA prohibit jumping in and airspace that that hasn't been updated in their database and distributed to all GPS devices? How would non-USPA dropzones make sure that the data gets to wherever it needs to get? Will municipal airports prohibit activities that haven't been registered with The Database yet? Will Garmin just simply label all of their devices as "NOT SUITABLE FOR AVIATION USES" ( I think they may already have such disclaimers, in which case all of this effort would do nothing to get the DZ's listed on hand-held devices.

It costs me $35/month for database updates to my Garmin GPSMAP396. This is for data that is essentially free to Garmin, since it originates with the NOAA and the FAA. All they really have to do is put it into their proprietary format and store it on their web site.

I can't see them giving up a cash cow like that without a struggle.

However, heavily advertizing their GPSs in aviation magazines, and having "Aviation Mode" would weigh very heavily with a trial jury in deciding if they were telling the truth when claiming "Not For Aviation Use". I think a half-way competent plaintiff's attorney would make short work of that claim.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It costs me $35/month for database updates to my Garmin GPSMAP396. This is for data that is essentially free to Garmin, since it originates with the NOAA and the FAA. All they really have to do is put it into their proprietary format and store it on their web site.

I can't see them giving up a cash cow like that without a struggle.

Fair enough. I don't really know if it's a cash cow, but perhaps that price to you would go up significantly if Garmin got sued. ;)

However, heavily advertizing their GPSs in aviation magazines, and having "Aviation Mode" would weigh very heavily with a trial jury in deciding if they were telling the truth when claiming "Not For Aviation Use". I think a half-way competent plaintiff's attorney would make short work of that claim.

This is from Garmin's "Obstacle/Terrain" license:

5. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER. THE DATABASE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABLE QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR THOSE ARISING BY LAW, STATUTE, USAGE OF TRADE, OR COURSE OF DEALING.

The Database is designed for use by experienced and knowledgeable pilots who must be thoroughly familiar with and competent in the navigation of aircraft and the air navigation equipment being used. The Database may not contain all terrain and obstacle data existing in the chosen coverage area and Licensee should make no assumption otherwise. The Database provided to Licensee hereunder may contain only a subset of GARMIN’S terrain and obstacle data. The Database must be used in conjunction with the appropriate aeronautical charts and other information available to pilots through a variety of sources. The Database is compiled from government sources and other publicly available data. GARMIN assumes only the limited responsibility of accurate compilation, reproduction, and of processing the source material be it government source, or other publicly available data. GARMIN assumes no responsibility to any person or persons in connection with the sale or use of the Database.

GARMIN MAKES NO WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO THE ACCURACY OF THE SOURCE MATERIAL USED FOR THE DATABASE, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. NEITHER GARMIN NOR ITS SUPPLIERS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO LICENSEE OR ANY THIRD PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY OR OTHER DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF REVENUE, PROFIT, OR DATA, OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURY OR OTHER COMMERCIAL OR ECONOMIC LOSS), WHETHER SUCH LIABILITY IS ASSERTED ON THE BASIS OF CONTRACT, WARRANTY, CONTRIBUTION, STRICT LIABILITY, TORT OR OTHER THEORY ARISING OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT, OR THE USE OF THE DATABASE OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORIES, EVEN IF GARMIN OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR THEY ARE FORESEEABLE. GARMIN'S MAXIMUM AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO LICENSEE SHALL NOT EXCEED THE AMOUNT PAID BY LICENSEE FOR THE PRODUCT. THE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION SHALL APPLY WHETHER OR NOT THE ALLEGED BREACH OR DEFAULT IS A BREACH OF A FUNDAMENTAL CONDITION OR TERM OR A FUNDAMENTAL BREACH. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusions or limitations may not apply to Licensee.

Assuming that it would be possible to keep such data up-to-date, suppose that a new DZ opens up and there is an incident before the USPA has submitted the dropzone data, would the USPA be held liable?? Should the FAA prohibit jumping in and airspace that that hasn't been updated in their database and distributed to all GPS devices? How would non-USPA dropzones make sure that the data gets to wherever it needs to get? Will municipal airports prohibit activities that haven't been registered with The Database yet? Will Garmin just simply label all of their devices as "NOT SUITABLE FOR AVIATION USES" ( I think they may already have such disclaimers, in which case all of this effort would do nothing to get the DZ's listed on hand-held devices.

Lots of questions, but most are already being handled as part of the standard notification process. I'll try to offer a very simplified overview. As with all things FAA, the devil is in the detail, and there is far too much detail to go into here. But briefly...

A drop zone must file a NOTAM with flight service for each operating day. They may choose to file once for an entire season or year. Notices that are new are given out through a standard briefing process, either by phone or on computer. Standing notices are published every 56 days, and once published are no longer mentioned as part of a standard briefing. All instrument products are updated every 56 days, to include instrument charts and databases used for instrument navigation. Sectional charts are updated every six months.

A pilot is expected to have the most current charts and information available while flying. Instrument pilots MUST have the most current charts and documents to fly under instrument conditions.

GPS databases are updated by the FAA every 56 days as part of the standard process. That currently doesn't include drop zones because they are not in the database at all. Ideally, in the future, drop zones would be reported to the flight service station as they are now, and then included in the standard 56 day update. As long as the process is coordinated under an approved FAA program, the database manufacturers would have no special liability.

So right now, there is already an advance reporting requirement for all drop zones, and a means of distributing both new and old data. That wouldn't change. The only difference is that there would be a new recipient on the distribution list. So from a GPS manufacturers perspective, drop zone data would be treated the same way they treat any other data.

From a pilot perspective, the change would be transparent.

Most VFR pilots probably don't have current databases right now, and that won't change. In fact, my GPS database hasn't been updated in about two years, so it won't display any changed frequencies, waypoints, or nav aids, nor would it include drop zones. I'm OK with that because I have a current sectional in the airplane, so the information is available to me in a paper format. I'm probably a very typical VFR pilot, but pilots that fly under IFR conditions will almost always carry the latest GPS database. What that means to us as jumpers is that there will always be older VFR-only GPS units out there that do not have the most current data, In fact, for a long while there will be GPS units that aren't even capable of displaying drop zones. That is a legacy isue that we need to contend with, and the longer it takes to get the manufacturers on board, the longer the legacy issue will be.

I think your questions are good ones, especially for somebody who isn't a pilot, or familiar with the system. The issue of data integrity is a critical one that is being handled by the FAA, and it was that issue that held up the process at the Arinc level for a couple of meeting cycles. I think it has been resolved, and the process for managing the drop zone data has been established, or is in the process of being established under joint agreement between FAA and USPA.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Of course, you don't get to see the disclaimer until after you've spent the money on the product. You won't find it in Garmins ads. I still think a plaintiff's lawyer would have an easy time convincing a jury that someone that spent money on the product is entitled to believe that it is of merchantable quality at least until expiration date stated on it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

See my post earlier in the Incidents thread at http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2200868#2200868.

Between re-reading that post and reading your letter to the USPA, I think the gentleman I spoke with was referring to a meeting of the ARINC 424 working group.

USPA and FAA are working together to build an inclusive database of all domestic drop zones. That database will then be passed along to manufacturers, who will be pressured into writing code to display the new data.

I know what you mean, but I am picturing something like this: Invite Mr. Garmin (and Mr. Honeywell, and Mr. Collins, etc) for some free tandems. Arrange for a _close_ fly-by of an aircraft while in freefall. Then deploy and have the tandem master ask, "Now, about that SAA support..."

I wrote an overview letter to the USPA Board of Directors on May 1, 2006 that covers the problem in detail, and asks for their support. A copy of that letter is attached.

I have saved it as PDF and attached it.

Will any of the improved dropzone location data filter back to the paper charts? There have been some comments that the dropzone/parachute symbols on the paper sectional charts are often not accurate, either there for long-gone dropzones or missing for current and busy dropzones. I'm not a pilot, but I was under the impression that the paper charts were the "official" word as far as the FAA is concerned. The GPS and FMS are more convenient for pilots to use, but I thought that even though the FAA provides data for them in a machine-readable format, they still considered such displays "advisory" and not "official". It may be that the hand-held GPS units are mostly "advisory" and that FMS that meet certain criteria can be considered "official", but I don't know. Where I'm going is that improving the electronically-displayed data will probably do the most immediate good, but that if possible, the paper charts should be improved as well. There have to be a few pilots out there that still plot their flights that way.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Will any of the improved dropzone location data filter back to the paper charts? There have been some comments that the dropzone/parachute symbols on the paper sectional charts are often not accurate, either there for long-gone dropzones or missing for current and busy dropzones.

That should happen. The plan is for one database to serve all needs. The paper charts are produced by a different part of the FAA than the the database, and it may take a while to get the update process going, but there is recognition that the data is old. That goes for the AFD as well.

The FAA is happy to hear about accuracy issues on the paper charts. If you know of a problem, check the chart for FAA contact information and then give them a call. My New York sectional lists a toll free number of 800-626-3677, or an email address of [email protected]. That's located in a box on the bottom of the backside of the chart, after all the special use airspace and frequencies listing.

I had an issue years ago with the lack of a local frequency for The Ranch, and the folks at the charting office were happy to trace the problem and help resolve it. So, if there is a missing DZ or misplaced DZ, give them a call and get the local update process moving, at least for the paper chart.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G

Tom-

You are to be commended on the effort you are putting into this.

As you've pointed out, we have to remember that having the info available on GPS units won't ELIMINATE the problem of skydivers and airplanes trying to be in the same place at the same time. It can only REDUCE the potential.

I've found that even if the info is available, most pilots haven't a clue as to what to do about the parachute symbol along their route. They have no idea of the altitudes from which the jumps are made, the frequency of jumps, etc. I've seen many CFI's approve student solo flights right over the Elsinore symbol, telling the students simply to be sure to get flight following from ATC. Sometimes ATC is too busy.

On the other hand, I've had ATC vector me right over Perris and Elsinore. I know enough to ask if any of the planes are up, but most pilots wouldn't know to do that.

The GPS project is only one facet of a multi faceted task, that includes constant vigilence by jumpers and jumps pilots, as well as efforts to educate the pilot population of the potential hazards.

I advise pilots to check out http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20001211X13693&ntsbno=BFO94FA015&akey=1

Thanks again for your efforts.

Harry Leicher
2004 CFI of the Year
FAA Western Pacific Region
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

The GPS project is only one facet of a multi faceted task, that includes constant vigilence by jumpers and jumps pilots, as well as efforts to educate the pilot population of the potential hazards.

Ahhh, so true.

Last year I was speaking to about a hundred pilots at fly-in meeting 12 miles from my home drop zone. Most had no idea of the conflict issue, or the lack of GPS depiction. When we reached the question period a flight instructor from that airport asked what he should do about his student pilots who were being sent directly over our drop zone on their first cross country, and being asked to use our airport as a visual checkpoint. My jaw dropped at his ignorance...he was actually telling students to fly over our airport without regard to the hazardous activity. Damn!

Of course the best part of my speech was that question period, and I was thankful for the opportunity to chat with the flight instructor, and the other pilots in the room. Without our meeting the flight instructor would have remained ignorant of our operation, and we would have remained ignorant of his ignorance.

The two easy solutions: First, the students could flight plan around our airport, or second, the flight instructor could send them over the drop zone and use that solo flight as a great way to teach about drop zones. I told him we would be happy to have the student pilots fly over our field (it's their airspace too), but would really appreciate a radio call a couple of minutes out. I also asked that they identify themselves as student pilots so manifest would be tolerant and hold loads as necessary. Everybody wins!

That's a cool solution, but it took real pilot outreach on the part of the drop zone, and a willingness for all users to work together to identify the problem and find a solution.

Yesterday I was chatting with a military Blackhawk pilot who thought he was well informed about drop zones because he always checked for NOTAMS. Umm, not! Slightly different problem, but equally important.

I think we need to know where the holes in the system are so we can improve our vigilance, and we need to work at plugging those holes.

Pilot outreach should be a part of every drop zones risk management program so other members of the aviation community know who we are, where to find us, and what our activity is all about. That's the part about knowing where the holes are.

Getting drop zones listed in GPS is a part of plugging those holes.

Congrats on being named 2004 CFI of the Year!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G