adventurechick

Swimmers Ear

I have an insane case of swimmer's ear right now too. That's what I get for spending hours a day for the last week in my parent's new pool while visiting them!

There is no way I could go up in a plane right now, especially in an unpressurized cabin. My brother blew an ear drum when he ignored ear pain and kept going (in his case cliff diving). I know it's a different story being under the water, but is the chance of messing up your ear worth it?
Killing threads since 2004.

Missed a gorgeous day yesterday because of a sinus infection. Better safe than sorry... Give it the week. And stema yourself in the shower, letting the hot water run over your forehead, temples, and nose. That'll help clear you out, too.

Good luck...

Swimmer's ear doesn't necessarily preclude jumping, but I would definitely think twice about it! If you can pop your ears, it may be ok, but I wouldn't chance it--if nothing else, you don't want to be distracted by pain, especially when putting on your helmet.

As an aside, swimmers ear is an infection of the external ear canal, and doesn't involve the middle ear, so all the various sinus remedies aren't going to work. The key for swimmers ear is keeping it clean and dry...dilute rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide dripped in the ear canal and then a cotton ball on the outside (NOT IN THE CANAL!!!!) a few minutes later can help.

Swimmer's ear is an outer ear infection, so should not affect your ability to equalize your ear pressure. However, it sometimes progresses to an inner ear infection and then can become a problem. If it hurts to touch your ear its probably only an outer ear infection and shouldn't cause a problem.