chrismgtis

Ear Canal Obstructions Can Cause Barotrauma

Ah ha!

I may have found the answer to my problem!

I understand someone else said this was possible and I myself did a large amount of research on how atmospheric pressure works between the ear canal, middle ear and is equalized by the eustachian tube.

So I wrote the following email to a website called MedToGo about this paragraph on the website:

"Pain may be experienced in the external ear canal or the eardrum may rupture if wax or earplugs obstruct the external canal. When closed to the outside world the external ear canal has become the closed space subject to the pressure changes of ascent and descent".

http://medtogo.com/l/scuba-health-safety/scuba-diving-health-risks/ear-lung-barotrauma.html

It made sense to me that this was possible after doing a lot of research.

So, I've written the following email to MedToGo to see if I can confirm this further:

I am a new skydiver and had an issue on my first skydive. During the rapid descent of freefall from about 11,000 to 4,500ft I experienced somewhat significant pain in my left ear, which disappeared by the time I was on the ground. After seeking the guidance of a doctor, a large chunk of ear wax had to be removed from my left ear canal so that the doctor could see my ear drum. Upon looking at my eardrum the doctor said I would not be able to skydive the following Saturday due to a small amount of damage to my left ear drum.

I had a theory that it is possible for an ear canal obstruction that is large enough, to hinder the equalization of pressure by normal means such as swallowing or valsalva during a rapid descent.

Your site says the following: “Pain may be experienced in the external ear canal or the eardrum may rupture if wax or earplugs obstruct the external canal. When closed to the outside world the external ear canal has become the closed space subject to the pressure changes of ascent and descent.”

So can I assume that is entirely possible that the large chunk of ear wax (larger than a pea) in my left ear canal was the culprit that caused the problem with my left ear not equalizing as it should on the rapid descent of freefall therefore damaging my left ear drum?

Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I hope that you're also planning to follow up on this with your own doctor.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I understand someone else said this was possible and I myself did a large amount of research on how atmospheric pressure works between the ear canal, middle ear and is equalized by the eustachian tube.

After seeking the guidance of a doctor, a large chunk of ear wax had to be removed from my left ear canal so that the doctor could see my ear drum.

I`m glad it was just the ear wax problem, once the eardrum is normal again you`ll be up for a brilliant skydiving future!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I`m glad it was just the ear wax problem, once the eardrum is normal again you`ll be up for a brilliant skydiving future!

Well thats the theory that I and a few others have come up with so hopefully we are indeed right! lol

Hopefully someone will read this post in the future and go have a doctor look at their ear before skydiving like I wish I should have. :P
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan