angrypeppers

AFF Level 1 today - woohoo!

Did my AFF Level 1 today at Mile Hi. What a beatiful day to jump! Sunny, little wind, and you could see from Long's Peak down past Mt. Evans. I was a bit nervous, since this would be my first time under canopy. I did a tandem a month or so ago, but this one was all on me!

We got to Mile Hi at 0800 and checked in. Shortly thereafter, me and two others did the prejump briefing. Answered some questions, and practiced cutaway/reserve pulls with the bibs. Went well, and yes, we believe that we can save our lives, which of course, is a good thing. I took the AFF class last weekend, but didn't get to jump then due to high winds. So I've been reading and studying all week so that I'd be prepared for today.

Eventually, I was assigned a video guy and two instructors, and assigned to Otter 6. Love the Otter! We geared up, and waited. I chatted with two of my classmates from last week, then heard the call: "Otter 6 five minutes". Butterflies were really kicking in now, though I was trying to stay focused and calm. The vid guy took some pics and video, then we were off the the trailer.

Once we got out to the plane, it was time for one more gear check, then inside the plane. Once airborne, I went through the dive flow with the instructors, and watched the alti. Once the door came open, I took a few deep breaths, then we scooted back to the door as the folks in front of us jumped. I got a bit of subconscious door fear I think. Brady shook me three times before I finally let go. Sorry to the folks behind us for that.

Once we got stable, I started my flow: I did my COA and touches. Chris and Brady were giving me hand signals, and I honestly saw maybe half of them...sensory overload I suppose. I was trying to hold a good arch, but need to work on my legs some more.

Then the moment of truth: 5500'. I reached back, grabbed the hackey, and tossed it. The chute opened clean! Thank god. I know the emergency procedures, but didn't want to test myself today! Man, it was nice seeing that canopy over my head.

I did my controllability check, though tentatively. Since I had never flown a canopy before, I wanted to ease into turns and flares. The canopy flew fine, and was a lot more responsive than I though it would be (290 Navigator). And the instructors were right, it did like to dive while turning!

I got down to about 3k, and noticed that I wasn't descending as fast as I thought I should. That's when I noticed that I was holding the toggles down a bit. Gotta remember that for next time. Once I figured that out, I started getting directions over the radio: turn left, turn right. Brady did a fine job getting me lined up for the landing area, though I still wasn't turning aggressively enough. Gotta remember that too.

The landing was OK, stumbled a bit, but I got down, wasn't hurt, and the parachute wasn't damaged. I gathered up the chute, Chris came over and got some more film, then it was off to get the trailer ride back to the hangar.

Aaron and Brady debriefed me on what they saw, but also wanted to know what I saw. I remember seeing the signals for my legs, but I missed most of the rest of the signals. Need to work on that too..

Things to work on:
1. When I get the doorway shake, GO! I don't like the thought of holding up anyone, or causing them to jump out of position because of me.
2. Relax, enjoy the freefall, and point the toes more.
3. Turns under canopy should be more aggressive, though controlled.
4. Breathe!
5. Be more aware of the instructor's coaching. I shouldn't have missed the hand signals.
6. Check heading more frequently, not just altitude.
7. Don't unintentionally put pressure on the toggles while descending.

Things I did correctly:
1. Alti checks. I checked often, and was able to pull on time. Checked the alti often once under canopy too. Altimeters are good!
2. Since I had practiced the dive flow a hundred times at home, I was able to complete it properly, and on schedule. Not just from memory either, but I knew what I was to do, and did it.
3. Even though I didn't need them this jump, I knew the emergency procedures. I'll keep reviewing them, but I was fairly confident that if I did get a mal, I'd be able to deal with it correctly. I may need them next time.

All in all, I'd give myself a 7 out of ten. Not great, but I got down safely, and I feel a lot better about flying the canopy. I have a lot to work on and learn yet, but this jump was a big confidence booster! I'll do some more tunnel time this week, and start studying again. Level 2 is on Saturday, and I want to do better than this time!

Many thanks to Brady and Aaron for the instruction, and to Chris for the video and pics!

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Hey! Congrats on passing!

Yea, I was up at Mile High today too...weather was AMAZING. Not too hot, not too cold (well, a little brisk).

Good luck on lvl 2! Hope to jump with you someday!:)

Congrats on level 1! Sounds like it went great. Brady's an awesome instructor. Perfect weather today... glad you got to enjoy it from the proper vantage point!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

Congrats man, I will tell you somthing. There is nothing like them announcing the newest AFF Graduate over the intercome. From then on all you can think about is getting up their again and again. The ground never feels the same. Makes you feel as though you belong in the air. not on two feet.

Blue Skys

"Falling is the easy part, Landing smoothly is the most importent part!
-DJ Mike

I got a bit of subconscious door fear I think. Brady shook me three times before I finally let go. Sorry to the folks behind us for that.

First, congrats on AFF 1... you didn't have to do it perfect... just doing it is an awesome accomplishment!

Second, about the door hesitation... just know that being out the door is better than being in the door! ;)

Don't over-think it all. The more jumps you do the better it gets and the more it will all come together! :)
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

Congratulations on passing your first AFF jump. I passed mine myself this past Saturday. I can relate to a lot of what happened to you.

The first AFF jump is a lot different than a tandem, so if you have ever done a tandem before AFF you expect one thing, but things feel a bit different and it kind of catches you off guard. Sensory overload I can definately understand. I had some issues in freefall, because of that. I would say it's pretty natural.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Second, about the door hesitation... just know that being out the door is better than being in the door! ;)

so true, so true... I wasn't able to get on a load sunday due to the cloud cover we had most of the day, and shortage of instructors... so I instead went up right-seat as an observer to get a better understanding of how everything goes on the plane ride...

Getting out the door is MUCH better than staying in the plane... I was *FREEZING* in the plane getting back down to the ground with the door still open!

It was an interesting and different experience... but I think i'll bring a rig and instructor with me next time and get back to the ground the quick way B|

Great job, man! I was worried about being under canopy, too, but once you do it you realize that it's not as hard as you imagined.

And I absolutely agree about the door fear thing. I am totally nervous in the plane and in the door, but it just gives me some motivation to get my ass out of there!

Keep up the good work! Wait until you get off of AFF - that first solo is an amazing feeling!

Congrats..

sounds like you have the "right" plan ahead of you!

But tell me this, How where you freezing in Houston? :S

i start getting cold on windy 75-degree days... i am SO a summer person!

It's going to be a bitter winter... i'll have to find me some good warm/thin/flexible clothes for jumping. And probably a full-face helmet. [:/]

Thanks, everyone! I'm actually feeling pretty good about the jump. I know there's a few things I have to work on, but they'll get better with more jumps. I'm already counting the days till Saturday...Level 2! I'll probably hit the tunnel this week to work on the legs. The door hesitation will have to wait till Saturday though.

The door fear kinda caught me by surprise. The tandem I did last month was different: we didn't hang out in the door, just a fairly quick look, then out we went. Standing in the doorway, looking up the airplane at the wing and prop was definitely different! Freaked me out a bit...

I must have watched the video a half dozen times today at work, and showed it to buddies another half dozen times. Most of them think I'm nuts, and one person called me "Dangerboy", which I took as a compliment. Too bad I couldn't get a dollar for every time I heard "perfectly good airplane".

I like reading people's stories about their jumps, so hopefully mine will entertain, especially for you folks with hundreds/thousands of jumps. I hope I'm just as geeked about jumping when I have all those jumps as I am right now.

Thanks again...
Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.