bacillus

1st Reserve Ride

Well, I had my first cutaway today. On my 50th jump. What a way to celebrate...:)
I pulled just above 3500, open by 3000 or so, but in a turn. The turn wasn't fast by any means, but I started yanking on toggles and risers to make it fly straight, and that failed after a few times, I tried to make it fly straight for a while using riser and/or toggle input. I could, but then I couldn't flare reliably, so only having 50 jumps, I didn't trust myself to flare safely. At 2000 ft I decided not to risk landing it, cut away, and deployed my reserve.

Thinking back, I probably could have landed it without a whole lot of trouble, but then again, maybe not. Judgement call I guess.

Thanks to everyone at the drop zone for walking through lots of corn to find my reserve bag. I have lots of beer and a bottle of Captain to buy!

Right on!

Any clue why it was turning?

How far did you have to pull down one toggle to make it fly straight?
What kind of canopy?

If you didn't feel you could land safely, then just go buy the rigger his bottle of choice, and that case of liquid refreshment for the masses and leave it at that!

You very well MAYhave been able to land it, especially if you think back but you were at your decision altitude. There was no time left to figure it out. Second guessing has hurt people unnecessarily.

Nice work!

The lines going up to the left stabilizer didn't look "right" to me, but otherwise the canopy looked alright. I'll see if I can figure it out when I go back and take a look, or talk to my rigger. It was my pack job, so if I do figure out what wasn't right, it'll be a lesson learned I guess. I didn't have time to check it out since I spent so much time try to find my reserve bag.

I can't remember exactly how far I had to bring the toggle down to make it fly straight, but it was far enough where I didn't successfully do practice flares that I felt comfortable with by 2000 ft. I thought about trying a few more, but like you said, I was at my decision altitude for having a canopy I felt like I could land safetly, and with my low number of jumps, I didn't feel like finding out. My main is a Falcon 215 (close to 1:1). No RSL, so I made damn sure I had both handles before I chopped. ;)

It is funny how the more I think about it, the more I doubt whether I should have cut away. But then again, I'd rather sit here unhurt doubting my decision and feeling a little silly, than sitting here with a broken leg wishing I had cut away. Live and learn I guess.

Oh yeah, excellent spot ANDY!!!!! my main landed right on the DZ landing area. I must say that was pretty sweet.

Hehe.. I felt a bit of deja-vu reading your post.
I also had my first reserve ride on jump 50, and perhaps even from the same type of malfunction.

According to my rigger, my canopy problem was caused by tension knots, resulting in a distorted section of canopy and slow turn. Maybe you had the same problem?