aguila

Is Skydiving an extreme sport?

Hmm interesting question and the quick answer is of course it is - just ask anyone who has never done it...

So someone I work with finds out i am skydiving..they say WOW thats such an extreme sport. To which I reply - its only extreme if you dont do it.

Extreme sports has become a marketing label to sell Mountain Dew, sport drinks and clothing-so pretty much everything sport-wise put to rock music shot with lots of angles and cuts can be and looks extreme-heck they can make golf look extreme filmed right...

I even have a book called Extreme programming-I must truly live life on the edge:skydiving and object oriented programming done as a team with unit tests all the way man !!! yea! The chicks are lining up...dangers my middle name ;)

I don't see how it would be an extreme sport. If you pack carefully every time. Don't go beyond your skill level. Pull at safe altitudes and don't do nothing stoopid while landing I think it isn't so extreme. Now convoying through Iraqi towns while the lead trucks gunner is asleep in the turret...THAT is an extreme sport.
(note, I didn't say it was me sleeping on that gun. And in the guys defense...he doesn't even load his gun over half the time anyway so it's not like he could use it if he were awake)
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.