Indiana_Girl

post-jump sinus trouble

Hi to all! I'm not a skydiver yet; I've done two tandems, and although I have great interest in starting AFF, I am a bit worried about the sinus trouble I've had after each tandem. Both times I've ended up with a rather runny nose, sneezing, as if I had a head cold, but I know I don't.
Yes, I suffer from allergies, and I take my allergy med every day. I don't have any sinus issues after scuba diving, so why would skydiving affect me like this? What can I do about it? I really, really want to do AFF, however, I can't afford to feel this miserable afterwards.
Thanks for your patience with this wannabe jumper and any help you can give!

My first 2 jumps or so had sinus issues, where it felt like little tiny bubbles were popping in them, it was quite annoying. It made me want to sneeze. Luckily, after about jump 3 this sensation went away completely. I'm sure others will respond regarding allergies, but this should not keep you from jumping. Have a good one!

I used to have a similar problem. but I think mine may have been worse than your case. Not only did it mess with my nose but I also have the added joy of causing double ear infections... My main sinus issue was dealt with via an operation that fixed a number of issues I had in my Sinus Cavity. I believe what they did was fixed my deviated septum and somethng called a turbinate(SP?) reduction. Which basically they reduced the size of the little dealy-O's that create the mucus responce in your sinus and cuases the dripping and draining.
so my sinus is great now but I still have issues with my ears but for me that gets better with the more jumps I make as is seems to me it stretches out something lol and makes it easier to deal with:)

Here are some links that may help you.
In the upper right portion of your web browser is a search box for this site, I simply did a search on Sinus and it gave over 700 links. Just click on them and you should get some of the insight you are seeking.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=sinus&sb=score&mh=25
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Major sinus issues here. Have had several operations (polypectomy, Caldwell-Luc, redrilled nasal windows, sinus lavage, straightening of septum, . . . you name it and I've had it done, and all of them at least twice each).

Allergies are the root of it all for me. During the worst seasons (spring and fall, flowering and going to seed) I take over the counter meds. They do help, but on average it takes my ears about 12 to 24 hours to clear after jumping.

Also, sometimes opening shock will knock big gobs of snot out of my head.

The plugged ears and snot are worth it though. Keep jumping, and carry a snot rag in your jumpsuit so you can clean up reasonably before landing.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley