ladyhawke

Timing or Trim?

Did not know that. I would have assumed that the guide ring and toggle tabs were always roughly the same distance from the top of the riser, no matter the total length.

They are, the industry standard is 4 inches.

Cool. I thought I was right.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I've been told I don't complete my flare and I usually fall down or crash.

You didn't answer my question earlier, do you practice your flares up high? If not, do it! Learn the stall point of the canopy, practice flaring the entire length of your arm.

Flying the Pilot may actually make you lazier at flaring, not improving it... at least on the canopies I've flown/compared, I got full flare on the Pilot at much less arm extention (about 3/4) than the other canopies (Sabre2, Spectre of varying sizes).

Have you taken a canopy control course? Watched video of your own landings? Done lots and lots of practice up high with different ways to fly your canopy?

It sounds like you need to be more aggressive in learning to fly a canopy and land it consistently. A canopy course may be the best way to do that.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I practice flaring up high everytime I jump! I have a routine of things I do for each demo but I'm sure there are drills I could be doing that I don't know about. At some point I'd like to attend a Scott Miller canopy course. I know I'd LOVE it and learn so much. In the meantime I'll ask someone to video my landings.
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

When you do your practice flares, make sure your arms are straight, not bent at all and you are grabbing your crotch. Hold the flare for 2 solid seconds before slowly letting up on it. Imagine coming in to land as you are doing it. Repeat it several times. Then when you land, do exactly the same thing... straight arms, hold the flare until the canopy is coming down and both your feet are solidly on the ground.

I liked Scott's course, but actually got much more out of Brian Germain's... Brian spends a lot more time focusing on the psych end of landing and canopy flight, and that made much more of a difference to me... learning how to truly feel and fly a canopy rather than just seeing a canopy as a necessary part of landing. Plus his course was 2 days to Scott's one.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

>So should I stick with a canopy I enjoy flying and learn the flare stroke
>for that canopy or do I compromise on the flying for the flaring?

I'd stick with a canopy you can fly and land well, and learn as much as you can on that canopy (flare turns, flat turns, front riser landings etc.) Once you have mastered that canopy, you'll have a much easier time switching to another, more fun canopy.

Here is a drill directly from Scott Miller’s course: practice with 5 flares up high and repeat.

1. Fast flare
2. Normal flare
3. A slow flare
4. Normal flare while looking up at the canopy
5. Normal flare with your eyes closed

After each flare concentrate on what it feels like during the flare, recovery and as the canopy goes back into full flight. Of course speak with your instructors, but during landing think about flying the canopy all the way to the ground, head up, and focused ahead, good posture and flare all the way through the landing with your hands down to your side at your thigh. This very simple drill helped me a lot.

Thanks so so much! When I practice my flare I usually look up at the canopy but I will do it with my eyes closed and focus on the feeling. Yea! I love doing drills! Thanks for sharing!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore