bertusgeert

Getting recurrent

Finally, I'm graduating and have a job offer. I'm contemplating stopping by Deland for a few days (going the FL anyways) to get current again, but this depends on a few factors.

I would like to take the most efficient path to become proficient again (efficient in terms of cost and time).

I have 56 jumps. I jumped those 56 jumps over a period of three years, infrequently. My last jump was summer of 2006. My job will most likely (99%, but I don't know 100% just yet) take me north (NYC) for the next six months.

If I get recurrent (SIM section 5.2), i will then have to jump again within 60 days to remain current. How likely, in a cold place like NYC, is it that I will be able to do that?

If I am not able to jump through the winter, then it would be better for me to just put off my itchy-ass-desires to jump again until the summer?

What would be the costs of getting recurrent? (given that I can study the SIM thoroughly on my own). Would I be treated individually, thrown in with AFF first jump students, or thrown out of the plane for a hop and pop?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

There are plenty of DZs open all winter within driving distance of NYC. Shouldn't be a problem to make a few hop n' pops every month to stay current, if that's all you want to do.

Getting current shouldn't be too hard... Good idea to read the SIM. Exactly what you have to do will depend on what DZ you go to and what the instructor/coach feels you need.

At a minimum: http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2008SIM/section5.htm#52D

How much it will cost will depend on the DZ and how much you need to do. At my DZ, I'd guess it would cost you a jump ticket and gear rental (unless you have your own), but it depends.

Dave

Hey bertusgeert,

I can't comment on the jumping on that side of the U.S., but as far as recurrency jumps, I had to do one a couple years back. It cost me $90 to do the meet up with the instructor who quizzed me and walked me through safety maneuvers, etc. Then he jumped out with me, at full altitude.

I will have to do a recurrency jump in June 2008 when I get back, however, I'm going to also have to pay for a reserve repack. I'll probably spend some time in the tunnel before the recurrency jump so I can make sure I don't completely flail.

Good luck!

SA B|

Your recurrency jump must be supervised by an instructor or coach. After you get to NYC, head down to Cross Keys. They're open all winter (except between Xmas and New Years). Sky's the Limit is also open all year.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Great, exactly what I want to hear.

I've done a bit of tunnel time before, good fun. Do you recommend it because it would be preperations for jumping again, or just in general?

Never really jumped in the cold. I didn't think that jumping in NY would be much fun until April. Full altitude jumps must freeze your balls off?! Do most people just stay current w/ hop and pops during the winter?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

I'm just starting my second year of winter jumping (in Wisconsin). Most of my winter jumps were from full altitude. Its all in how you dress. Its not too bad. If you're lucky like me, you go from a heated clubhouse, to a heated airplane, 45 short seconds of freefall, a 3-4 minute canopy ride and you're back into the heated clubhouse. The main thing to worry about is your hands. Good gloves are key. I made it through last year with North Face Windstopper gloves but there are many on the market that do the same thing that are thin enough to not hinder your need to pull sh*t.

Winter jumping is fun (or at least that's what us crazy northern mid-westerners tell ourselves). I can't imagine taking 4-5 months off of skydiving just because its cold. And as far as I know, no one has lost any of their balls at my dz due to winter cold, but it would make for an interesting incident report. "After an uneventful freefall...":D