tree102678

Timing of Flare on Landing?

>Tension: I noticed that I do tense up maybe because I keep staring down
> at the ground when landing...thus causing me to have no depth
>perception. I think I am inputing full flare but either too high or too late,
>combined with a bad PLF = not good...:(

Well, don't do that. Some clues here:

1) Don't look straight down. If you must look down look at a 45 degree angle.

2) Use nearby clues. If you have a hangar nearby with a 10' ceiling, keep it in your peripheral vision. When the roof disappears you are below 10'. Trees can be used in a similar fashion but (of course) are generally higher.

>my opinion was due to late flare to avoid barbed wire fence and PLF
>with feet shoulder's width apart...but hard to work on PLF's now with
>one good leg..lol.

Why would flaring on time cause you to hit a barbed wire fence but flaring late cause you to not hit it? Sounds like it might have been more distraction than anything else.

In general it's always better to avoid obstacles. But just as in flying, it's better to land in control on a hazard than land out of control in a clear area. If you can't avoid the tree/fence etc then do the best flare you can and prepare to PLF. That will put you in the best possible position to avoid injury.

>Looking Down: I have tried to look at stationary things before but still
>find my eyes creeping back down again...such a tough habit to break.

You may be helped by going back on radio for a bit and getting that rhythm down. Once you get that "not yet - not yet - hands up - and flare" down then you can replay that in your mind when you are coming in to land on your own.

>I have done this on 2 occassions and have brought my toggles back
>up and felt the canopy surge forward...

Don't do that!

If you flare SLIGHTLY too high, keep the toggles down. The canopy will stall and drop you a few feet; with a PLF it should be a non event.

If you flare way too high, go to half brakes and get ready to PLF. Half brakes will slow you down but will not stall the canopy. You may be able to get a second small flare in.

[reply(I use the DZ's hangar as a guide, as it is about 12 feet high -- when I can no longer see over its roof, it's time!)

Isn't there a kinda dangerous problem with this method? How do you know to time your flare when you land off? Not ragging on you, just curious, and slighty worried...

Yeah, I should have said "I used to use the hanger..", because I only used it as a training tool. It's more instinctual now, and the most recent off-landing I had (the only one on my current canopy) was great.
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

Yeah, I was just walking to the otter for a 10-way when we all stopped dead in our tracks to watch ether land off. The problem was that she was headed for the runway sign "D22". When she hit it, we all thought she was dead!
Fortunately she was ok and joined us for the Rodriguez antics later! ;)
She learned a few great lessons that day.
1 - don't focus on an object during landing or you will hit it.
2 - Be very careful around thr Rodriguez Brothers when drinking Tequila! lol
2K Composites Dealer
TonySuits Dealer
Larsen & Brusgaard Dealer
CSPA C, Coach 1, Rigger A, Instructor A, Tandem Videographer / Photographer, EJR

Yeah, I was just walking to the otter for a 10-way when we all stopped dead in our tracks to watch ether land off. The problem was that she was headed for the runway sign "D22".

Heh, that wasn't actually the off-landing I was referring to (rather the one where I landed in the soccer field a kilometer away after a terrible spot), but thanks for the retelling ;)

Now if someone can just do something about this snow... >:(
Looking for newbie rig, all components...