Usetawuz

Vibes for Tom Craighead

A letter to Parachutist (April 08) from Tom "Crunk" Craighead announced he has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer (a fact many of us already knew). Tom is one of the skydiving's "old-timers" (late 1950's). He could use some good vibes.

I recommend reading his book, "Skydivers, Flying with Their Pants on Fire". It has a very good and thorough first-hand account of the very early days of skydiving from just around the time the word"skydive" was first introduced by Jacques Istel. Tom relates talks about Good Hill farm, Orange Mass., Lew Sanborn, Charlie Hilliard and more. Tom is a history book on legs and it is fascinating stuff. It is just too common for people to be ignorant of history in general, and for us, the history of skydiving specifically. Modern skydiving's very first pioneers are still alive. Istel, Sanborn, Pond and others. Tom is not long for this world, so sad to say. And it has been my unique privilege to know Tom for ten or more years, and to hear his stories and to ask him for more. I for one will miss him very much.