airricks

Starting Skydiving-Jump Frequency

Hello. Ive always wanted to skydive but never really got myself to do it. Last september a friend wanted me to go so hed have a large enough group to get a discount so I said ok. I didnt really even expect that I would jump though. I went through the course (we went aff btw) and when the time came I jumped, and it was the best thing I've ever done. I was very scared (and still am) but at the same time I had the time of my life. I went back and did my level 2 the next weekend but after that money got tight and then the DZ closed (I live in OH). On march 12 the DZ is having safety day with free refresher training and then I could do a level 2 and be current. I love skydiving already and am looking forward to jumping again but financially it is expensive for me right now. I realize I will have to jump at least every month to not have to redo levels and Im hoping to be able to afford to jump once a week(end). Does that seem to be too infrequent to pursue my A license? Im going to skydive when I have the money to because I love it, but I feel like jumping infrequently, I might have trouble. How often should I jump to realistically pursue my A license? After that, could I jump not so frequently as I would be more trained? Hopefully someday soon Ill get a job that pays well enough I can jump whenever I want but until then this is how it will have to be. Any thoughts?

I realize I will have to jump at least every month to not have to redo levels

Well kinda....:|

Also, if you do not complete all the TLO's for that level you'll have to redo that level again. [:/]

Does that seem to be too infrequent to pursue my A license?

Jumping as much as you can while in your instructor jumps is often advised for a better learning curve, but then again I have had students that complete the levels everytime they do their once a month jump. ;)

Im going to skydive when I have the money to because I love it, but I feel like jumping infrequently, I might have trouble.

Try hanging at the DZ to become a packer for extra money?

How often should I jump to realistically pursue my A license?

There is no set number except what is required by USPA to stay current, if you jump at a USPA group member DZ.

Hopefully someday soon Ill get a job that pays well enough I can jump whenever I want but until then this is how it will have to be. Any thoughts?

If you like it that much learn to pack for extra money and hang out at the DZ for alittle experience. :)

Keepin' it safe!
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

In my opinion jumping once a week while trying to get your A is fine. If you said you could only afford it once a month that is a different story.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

One jump a week, during AFF, isn't really all that strange. That's a LOT faster than I did it. Don't forget it gets cheaper as you go, and after you graduate AFF, jumps suddenly get a lot cheaper. You may be able to pick up the pace a little then.

If you need to do AFF slowly (I don't think of once a week as slowly, but I'm sure many people do), just be prepared to enjoy each jump and don't worry too much about repeating levels. It's just as much fun to repeat a level as it is to do the next level... you're skydiving either way.

Dave

OK Thanks guys for all the responses. I will probably jump once a week and then as Dave said, the jumps get a lot cheaper after level 7. Hopefully then I can jump more frequently. Ive thought about trying to see if the DZ needed packers, which would give me something to do on my days off while earning $ to do what I want to do anyway! Are packers usually needed at most DZs or are those jobs kind of hard to come by? The advice about enjoying every jump since no matter what, you're skydiving is true and I'll try to keep that in mind. I tried to enjoy my first jump as much as I could at about $380 with video :S

Thanks again for the replies

Eric