padu

Minimum category for 2-way

What is the minimum number of jumps or category necessary for one to perform a 2-way with someone that is experienced (cat >= C)? (I mean, in the US)
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

USPA SIM 2-1,E

6. Students training for group freefall

a. Student freefall training for group freefall jumps must be conducted by either:

1. Student freefall training for group freefall jumps must be conducted by either A USPA Coach under the supervision of a USPA Instructor or;

2. USPA D license holders provided there is a minimum ratio of one D license holder to one student with a maximum of a 4-way.

Hope this answers your question.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

It does. Thanks.

In fact, citing the USPA SIM just enticed mycuriosity of reading that paragraph and a couple of other ones (priviledges of A license for example).

In my old DZ (outside USA), we used to organize a 2-way (RW) cup with a very interesting requirement... the pair must be formed by an experienced and an inexperienced jumper. Obviously the experienced guy was attracted by the awards (usually cash or equipment), but the best thing was the side effects...

1-Newly formed students and cat. A that were otherwise idle and would at some point give up the sport were presented to some "quality" (from their point of view) jumps
2-Most of cat. D jumpers were willing to train the cat. A guys for free and some even pay their own slot.
3-The competition awakened something in the novices and we realized those guys had a higher retention rate than students/cat.A's that weren't participating.

After a couple rounds of competition, everybody benefited... the DZ owner obviously from the competition, but more importantly from the frequent customers he wouldn't have otherwise... the DZ safety increased (novices would go up to do "head down" when they didn't even now how to belly fly), etc...

So I'm thinking about organizing something like this in my DZ...

Any experiences around here?
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

My home DZ used to run a similar thing - only it was a 5-way speed star competition (with a few twists thrown in - no-show exit, had to do a front loop out the door, etc). After the speed star portion of the jump, the team shot accuracy on landing, and their distance from the plate was added to the time to get the overall score.

(Of course, bribery and cheating were encouraged, just to keep things interesting).

The teams were put together at the start of the competition based on jump numbers. So each team would have 1 person with >2500 jumps, and then others in varying categories down to
Anyway, I'm sure one of the Peckerheads has probably responded to you while I was typing this out... :)

Signatures are the new black.

Back in the day, before the coach rating. The experienced jumpers would just jump with you. They didn't need to be bribed or have their slot covered. You might not get on every cool jump but they would work with you and help you get better. Of course that was back when the experienced people could actually build formations bigger than 3 ways without hurting each other. Alot has changed in 9 years.