livendive

S&TA's waiving BSRs

This question is situation specific. You've made it too broad based. Only some BSR's are waverable by S&TA's.

I'm referring to only those BSRs that may be "legally" waived by an S&TA, and my question is basically whether you think there are "no", "some", or "many" situations in which it's appropriate for an S&TA to waive a BSR.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

As a former S&TA at a large west coast DZ I think BSR's should never be waived for convenience at the expense of safety by anyone. It should not be put to a vote. The decision should be made by an official using sound judgment and common sense. It seems not everyone agrees with this.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

As a former S&TA at a large west coast DZ I think BSR's should never be waived for convenience at the expense of safety by anyone. It should not be put to a vote. The decision should be made by an official using sound judgment and common sense. It seems not everyone agrees with this.
Sparky

I think I agree with you. There certainly won't be a vote that dictates whether or not I sign off on something, and I won't ever waive a BSR unless the alternative carries at least an equivalent level of safety.

example:
Jumper A has 20 years in sport, 3000 jumps, a couple RW world records, and substantial experience instructing skydiving students, however allowed his ratings to lapse last year while training to compete in 4-way. Most importantly, I know him to be a skilled, experienced, safety-conscious skydiver.

Jumper B has 3 years in sport, 270 jumps (mostly freefly) and a coach rating. I know him to be a promising young skydiver with above average skills for his experience level.

Jumper C has 22 jumps and would like to work on staying close to someone in freefall while doing turns.

This is a hypothetical example of one of the instances in which I would consider waiving the coach requirement and letting jumper C go up with jumper A, because I know the alternative provides an equivalent or higher level of safety for the student.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

BSR's that can be waived by an S&TA include:

1) RW training jumpers with students by a jumper who lacks a Coach rating. The waiver is jumper specific. I think it is reasonable for some specific experienced jumpers who lack a Coach rating to train students. It should not be routine, but an S&TA should have this authority, and should feel comfortable using it.

2) An S&TA can waive the 14 mph maximum wind for students jumping squares, or 10mph with rounds. I can't imagine ever issuing a waiver for this BSR, although I know of at least one S&TA who feels otherwise.

3) The drop zone obstruction limits can be waived by an S&TA. In the case of a large field with some isolated hazards it is reasonable for the entire field to be listed as the student landing area if there is an adequate area free of obstructions. I think it is reasonable for an S&TA to make this determination based on the size and orientation of the field, and placement of the obstructions.

4) The requirement for water gear on all students when jumping within one mile of an open body of water can be waived by an S&TA. It is reasonable for an S&TA to waive this requirement based on the actual size and orientation of the landing area, and the size and position of the water hazard.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

[reply

I won't ever waive a BSR unless the alternative carries at least an equivalent level of safety.

That's the key issue. Another example might be the obstacle clearance, limited to winds being from a certain direction.

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."