skytash

who is subsiding who was: Skydiver hits tail on exit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To

Check out Netheravons website.
It is a military DZ and civvys jump there at weekends.
Non profit organisation so skimping on fuel for hop and pops is certainly not an issue.

My understanding as to how the DZ operates is to make a profit from tandems and civvi jumps, which in turn subsidises military jumps. Obviously the dropzone cannot make a loss at the end of the year, so it is run like any other business - they also have to control their costs, i'e they cant waste fuel, etc

This doesn't go in Incidents, so I'm starting a thread here.

Not sure where you get that idea from. My taxes subsidise the military jumpers during the week. The operation at the week end is run by the Army Parachute Association, the one during the week by the MOD. Different student kits owned and used and cross charging for lease of planes. I believe the APA owns the planes and leases them to the MOD to use.

APA is a non-profit organisation.

MOD is the Ministry of Defence.

Neither need to make a profit at the end of the year.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe