tfyah

making it back to the dropzone

already did 2 tandem jumps and already obsessed with the idea of jumping solo.
No fear in the plain and feeled relaxed in freefall, my only fear is that when i begin my aff course, once my chute is open I have to get back to the dropzone on my own with zero experience.
Is it a good idea to do a static line drop first to get used flying a canopy, or must i not worry too much?
some tips would be great
thx in advance, excuse my bad English

You'll learn about the winds and spotting. Also, study the aerial view of your DZ. Drive around your DZ's neighborhood and look for good places to land off in case you have to. When you know you have options, just in case, it does relieve that "what if I don't make it back" jitters.

Just my .02. Keep the change! :)

PS - I'm a super newbie, so this is what I did to try to help me mentally prepare. Knowledge is power!

Always be kinder than you feel.

I landed off-site on my 3rd B jump attempt. Ironically, I passed that attempt because I improved on what went wrong with the previous B jumps, except for landing AT the dropzone.

Oh and I think I've officially become the butt of jokes at my home dropzone for that off-site landing. Hey at least they HAVE a sense of humor! :P

Also, study the aerial view of your DZ.

Google Earth is a great way to do this. You can not only look for outs, but you can change the angle you are looking at the landing area from to give you a better idea of how things may look that a plain overhead view. I did this after I lost the dz on ny eigth jump. I haven't lost it since. :D:D
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Oh and I think I've officially become the butt of jokes at my home dropzone for that off-site landing. Hey at least they HAVE a sense of humor!

That was my case too. The dz is on a county line and I managed to land out twice in my first 8 jumps, once in each of the two counties. I was asked if I would please let them know what county I planned on landing in. :$
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Oh and I think I've officially become the butt of jokes at my home dropzone for that off-site landing. Hey at least they HAVE a sense of humor!

That was my case too. The dz is on a county line and I managed to land out twice in my first 8 jumps, once in each of the two counties. I was asked if I would please let them know what county I planned on landing in. :$

They should set up two separate drop zones, one in each county. Just for you...:P

One thing that I have found very benificial, is to have the TI tell you what he's doing and why and even have you steer and tell you why, This gives you a real good idea of how to work with the wind conditions and be able to set up for a good downwind,base, and final approach.
I'm sure your wanting to ditch the guy on your back, but the things that worry you take over and do not let you concentrate on everything else.
Try and put it to rest before hand.
Just my oppinion.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!