Zirngibism

Pitching skydiving/wingsuiting to worried parents?

The mature thing to do would be to talk to them directly about it and be honest about the risks/rewards. Given that they're supporting you financially, they have the option to "pull your funding".

And if they still say "no way" after being honest and direct about the risks and rewards, the mature thing to do would be to respect their wishes until they are no longer providing any financial support.

Most people don't stay in the sport for more than a few years. It's really not worth alienating his family for something that he may be done with before he's old enough to buy beer.

Most people don't stay in the sport for more than a few years. It's really not worth alienating his family for something that he may be done with before he's old enough to buy beer.

Whats the reason for this?
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

Whats the reason for this?

There are a lot of reasons. Some people quit when the first person that they actually know dies or is seriously injured; the first time you can put a face and name to an incident will tend to make you realize just how dangerous this sport really is.

Others quit because life gets in the way - babies, home ownership, new job, school, unexpected bills, cancer, etc. Still others quit because they were the one to get hurt or they have a scary situation happen; they can't justify taking the risk any longer.

Some people quit because it's no longer fun - they may not be into the social side of the sport, or perhaps they are into the social side but all of their friends have gone off to do other things.

And some people quit because... they're dead.

Goody Two-Shoes has its place; but we can't all be Skymama.

Maybe I'm only good when I'm on public internet forums. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've been open with them about everything my entire life, and don't want to break their confidence and trust.

I really respect this. Being old enough to jump without their permission doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing to do when you know it's something they would object to. Educating yourself and your parents about the sport is a good beginning, as is a field trip to the dz for observation.

As you get more independence, this will be less of an issue. For now, I think it's to your credit that you're trying to work with them instead of around them. I think that actually shows a lot more maturity than some of the people who come online and are just determined to jump at all costs, parental approval and everything else aside.
TPM Sister #102

After I did my tandem, I showed the video to my mom and she thought it was cool but she still made me promise never to do it again. Of course I agreed (knowing that it was a lie) and did AFF three months later but didnt tell her. She found out through the grapevine what I was doing and kicked me out of the house and we didnt talk for about 3 months.

Now that Im out on my own and supporting myself she is a lot more forgiving. We're on good terms now and she has accepted the skydiving (and still thinks its cool).

I dont know how your parents will react but theres a good chance that if they are worry worts, they will react similarly to my mom.

Hey,

I'm pretty new to skydiving too, i've only had a few jumps. 1 tandem, and 1 solo.

I found that Skydiving is the most independent sport any man/woman can ever do. It's up to you to get yourself safely to the ground. So what I say you should do is, save up enough money to do a tandem, and if you fall in love with the sport as hard as I did, money, parent's, and school would not get in the way. you'll just make it happen. Money is tight for me, so i've been sacrificing, and i've been content since. Hopefully i'm doing my second IAD jump tomorrow, i've been postponed so many times to jump because of my work schedule, and the local dz is so busy. plus weather has not been permitting lately up in Canada.

I won't steal anyone else's thunder on the inherent risks and not trying to downplay the to loving parents. The sport can kill. Period.

The problem is that I'm not fully independent from my parents. I'm a college student without my own transportation, and still rely on them financially. They're able to see my bank account and my card charges, etc...

I suggest paying CASH.

I've been open with them about everything my entire life, and don't want to break their confidence and trust.

Were you open about any late-night drinking parties? One night stands? I'm pretty up front with my folks.. but there's alot in my life that remains my business.

I'm not going to tell you to do anything behind their backs. If you are an adult, and want to skydive..then go make a skydive.

Start with the SIM, especially the BSRs and student requirements. Stress how much experience is required to do the more advanced operations. There are risks, but most accidents are a result of bad judgement or operator error. Students have a very low accident rate. Some videos of successful jumps could help. In my case, my folks weren't thrilled, but understood it was my choice, and my life. I have an agreement with my mom that I will always use an AAD and won't BASE jump. I always call her on the way home (she knows I'm out there every weekend). The enthusiasm I have for it and the friends I've made through the sport helped too. Skydiving has risks, but I could get hit by a bus crossing the street, or hit head on by a drunk. I could die hiding under a tarp in my basement, but hiding in the basement sucks. Be open and honest with them, and if they say no, wait a few years, then jump and show them the video. Good Luck
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo