bkoch

How low can you chop?

Mike, about 20 or so years ago Dave Schulz had a bunch of "one thing leads to another" happen to him, with the net effect of his having a bagloc at 500 ft. He peeled and punched both handles simultaneously and had about a 5 second reserve ride under his old Pioneer 22 ft round. This was definitely a high speed malfunction and there was no RSL, or Cypres. Square reserves are supposed to open faster than the old rounds. So his experience may help to answer the question, but I assure you he most certainly didn't think anyone else should try it, he was very lucky to come out of it alive.

Hey Tom,

Some of the smaller rounds sport reserves from those days were really little. The Pioneer 22 had an inflated diameter of around 17 feet. That together with real short lines and your fill time is cut way down. I'll bet the landing was a real thrill.:P

The rounds built today say for pilots rig have to pass the same testing as a square reserve. They are called different names, one being an emergency parachute assembly and the other called a single/dual harness reserve parachute assembly.

Sparky

He was lucky he did not have capewells.:S
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

also in olden times I had a guy pass me in freefall while I was setting up on final at about 500ft.

he made it, all i could think was "glad that wasnt me".....sadly it was a year or so later during a trip to the US. I have seen one nutter deliberatley cut away from an inflated canopy at what I guessed was about 500 ft. He made it too.

Its al a bit academic really , at that hieght one thing goes wrong and your a nasty stain on the landscape. If you are jumping BASE gear and know what you are getting into.... maybe, skydiving nah!

blue skies and high last canopy deployments

steve
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

***I doubt the chances are survival are any decent if going silver at 350ft while falling at terminal.

If you are still at terminal at 350 ft. you never did have a canopy out so chopping isn't in the picture. And having only 1.75 seconds to impact isn't enough to even think "damn, this is NOT good".