Rockwell Paranav WOW!

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/news/page10360.html

just the thing for demos;)

edit: looks like its already been discussed on dropzone.com.

anyhow, wonder when this will trickle down to something affordable?

I am very familiar with this system. I wouldn't expect to see it or any of its parts trickle down anytime soon. It's a bit more complicated than just a helmet mounted system.Quite frankly, I don't see how it could be made into a civilian version that would be anywhere near affordable or practical for recreational skydiving,its purpose is rather specific.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

yeah, I worked at Hughes Aircraft who made HUDs for fighters. Getting a see through head up display focused at infinity takes holograms, at least it did back then. $$$$$$. Is the Rockwell HUD see through or opaque?

Wasn't Alti-2 working on a HUD for skydivers? I think it might have been used in one of the huge ways in Thailand. I think it just displayed altitude.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Is the Rockwell HUD see through or opaque?

Neither, it is a solid screen equivalent to a 42" LCD tv in front of the right eye when flipped down. If you hold your index and middle finger on your right hand up in front of your right eye about an inch away, thats what it looks like. No more distracting than a camera ring site once you get used to it.

Wasn't Alti-2 working on a HUD for skydivers?

That was the Titan project and it was used on a bigway but I believe it has been back burnered if not scrapped completly. That system is more along the lines of what a recreational skydiver might want than the Navaid.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING