Feeblemind

AAD issues when traveling to and from New Zealand

Hey All,

I am posting this at a friends request. They just returned home from NZ and had significant issues when trying to return to the U.S.

To whomever is interested:
On March 3rd 2009, my wife and I were detained by airport security at Auckland International Airport in New Zealand for having a Cypress 1 AAD in a rig we were taking back to California. The reason for the detainment was the cutter was determined to be explosive and was not allowed on the flight. We were told we had two choices. Remove the cutter from the rig and ship it back to California for $600.00 NZD on a cargo flight, or ship the entire rig as cargo on another flight. We had 2 hours to spare at this point so we opted to ship the rig. Cargo personnel found a provision in their rules .. article 2.3.4.4 allowing Avalanche rescue backpacks with a similar device in them to board as long as the explosives contain less than 200 mg. of material. The cargo experts who deal with these regulations daily concluded the cutter was harmless and could be shipped even after consulting with the agency who wrote the article. Everyone , including the airline personnel concluded the cutter presented no harm. Airport security however did not see it this way, and said it could not be shipped on a passenger plane. By this time we had 20 minutes to catch our international flight. The NZ airline reps requested the Airport security officer be specific as to the regulation that would prevent the device on the plane and since there were none specific to parachuting he announced it would fall under general explosives. No one was at rest with this decision but it stood. So... with 15 minutes to spare we pulled the reserve pulled out the cutter and handed it over. We have traveled to New Zealand 8 times with an AAD in the past 9 years and it has never been an issue. The officer also stated the provision re: our aad has been in effect for 6 years. Isn't it ironic that the New Zealand Parachute Industry Association last year mandated to jump in New Zealand you must have an AAD.
As New Zealand is an unbelievably beautiful place to skydive it is a shame to not try to obtain a waiver against this current situation.

Steven Gregory [email protected] (Officer who made final decision) 011 649 256 1700 from USA

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Were you carrying any of the below documents?

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1147.shtm
http://www.cypres-usa.com/dot_pr_082500.pdf
http://www.cypres-usa.com/AirTravelUpdate.htm

Traveling through NZ, I didn't have issue, but I also had my reserve card pocket filled with paperwork.

DSE and others,

It appears the NZ air authority is making issues with AAD cutters. I am currently at Skydive Elsinore and just spoke with a jumper that had recently returned from NZ. He had all of his Cypress and TSA documentation but was still prohibited from taking his rig on the aircraft. Fortunately for him his friend was remaining in country and had his rigged shipped.

Jay Stokes (USPA president) is here at Elsinore and was made aware of the issue for further follow up.

Blues,

Feeble

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Pursuant to your post, I contacted the Aviation Security Service via a friend in the Film Location Office.
The letter I received in response:

Good morning Douglas

Your e-mail was forwarded to me by my colleague Steven Gregory. In order to respond to your concerns and provide you with an explanation outlining the reason why Aviation Security Service will not permit parachutes fitted with an Automatic Activation device to be carried by air as checked or carry on baggage; I shall refer your e-mail to the New Zealand Civil Aviation Authority (who are the competent authority in New Zealand for the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations) for a response.

Regards

Jennifer Iggulden
Senior Sergeant Operations
DDI: (09) 255 6020
Fax: (09) 275 1944
Cell Phone: (027) 4718 159
E Mail: [email protected]

It's like a scene from a bad movie. :S

I am a jumper who wants to travel to NZ next month, and am a bit irritated about this issue - just sent the following message to the NZ PIA, and hopefully somebody is going to investigate this affair. Thanks for making this public Feeblemind.

Dear Sir or Madame,

I am an expierienced jumper, holder of U.S. USPA license as well as german DFV parachute license. I plan to visit NZ on a jumping holiday in April.

Fellow jumpers informed me that there are serious problems at the moment to carry AAD equipped rigs on aircraft (both checked or carry-on) out of Auckland International Airport:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3502602;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Do you have information about these issues? I am inclined to rebook my flights from NZ to Australia if there isn't clarity about getting my rig out of the country again.

Thank you very much,

XXX

Update:

Keith Gallaher from the NZ PIA has responded, and he indicated that they know about and are working on this issue. I made him aware of the letter which DSE received in response to his enquiry.

I have a Cypres2 in my rig, so I also contacted Airtec at their German HQ, and they have been helpful and want to look into this also.

I don't want to cancel my jumping holiday for s**t like this ;)

Looks like this is finally resolved. Today I received a message from Airtec GmbH that they have in turn received a clearance for Cypres cutters to be transported on NZ passenger airplanes.

http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=89&func=fileinfo&id=127&lang=en

So everybody with a Cypres in their rig should be fine, glad to have chosen a Cypres myself.

I did also sent an e-mail to the above mentioned personnel at NZ AVSEC to make sure the message got passed on to them.

Looks like this is finally resolved. Today I received a message from Airtec GmbH that they have in turn received a clearance for Cypres cutters to be transported on NZ passenger airplanes.

http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=89&func=fileinfo&id=127&lang=en

So everybody with a Cypres in their rig should be fine, glad to have chosen a Cypres myself.

I did also sent an e-mail to the above mentioned personnel at NZ AVSEC to make sure the message got passed on to them.

Nicely done!

Final update, reply from NZ AVSEC follows, users of models of AAD's other than Cypres please be aware:

Thank you for your inquiries. I am replying to you as a group as your
inquiries/expressions of concern were all as representatives of the
parachuting industry.

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) of New Zealand is the competent
authority in this country with regards to the carriage of dangerous
goods by air.

Max Evans is a representative of the CAA. His letter represents the
stance of the CAA.

In regard to the CYPRES product, it is the determination of the CAA that
according to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) supplied; the product
does not meet the classification criteria for a Dangerous Good and is
therefore permitted to travel on both passenger and cargo aircraft.

In regard to other brands of this item/product, the responsibility for
verifying that the AAD is not subject to the Dangerous Goods Regulations
rests with the shipper of the item (in other words the passenger).

If the Shipper/passenger can provide manufacturer or other technical
information/documentation that states that the item is not a Dangerous
Good and therefore not subject to the Dangerous Goods Regulations and
may be carried by air, it is the CAA position that this documentation
may be accepted.

In addition the airline also has a responsibility to determine whether
or not they would accept these items for carriage.

Aviation Security Service (AVSEC) will not prevent the carriage of the
Cypres AAD based on the recent decision by the CAA; AVSEC will not
prevent the carriage of other brand/s of AAD where appropriate and valid
information is provided to verify that they are safe for transport.

I trust that this clarifies the New Zealand position now.

Kind regards

XXX