chrismgtis

Balloon Jump (didn't get out)

I'm not stressing this at all, I mean whatever. I got to ride in a balloon, but I basically got up, the two other guys jumped and I just couldn't get myself to move.

Dunno what the deal was, but my nerves were going ape. I've jumped the heli and 4 or 5 different planes, but that balloon was scaring the hell out of me. I guess having two hop and pops didn't help.

Yea, I'm afraid of heights, but normally it's as easy as just stepping out. Something about having to climb over the edge was freaking me out.

I think it's funny. Whatever.

Dude, no harm, no foul. You'll get there. My first one I look like an idiot, I went out backwards (ass plunge) and remember saying "oh my God."

Then it was awesome. :)

The best part is that in the basket you can hear everything they say for the first few seconds. My first one last year the first guy out went "woh woooh woooooh, fuck meeeeeeee.....!" it was hilarious.

That being said, baloon jumps still get my heart racing everytime. It's weird that we're freaked out while stationary in a perfectly quiet balloon, but once in freefall plummeting towards the earth, we're fine.

You'll get the next one. Like someone else mentioned, go first, and commit to it. That way your buddies won't let you back out. ;)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I had no pressure to get out of the balloon. That's probably why I didn't.

It looks like you were uncomfortable with the exit altitude, from your previoous posts. And if you don't want to get out, then you stay, simple, it's your jump ticket.

I'm with everyone here who said that you should learn to get out at 3500 (From an airplane). Not because you have to, I think you'd do fine on a bailout without that, but because there's lots of fun stuff that you miss out on if you don't. Like the balloon, or if you show up at the DZ and the clouds make only that kind of jumps possible.

I used to hate 3500' hop&pops too, being an AFF baby and all, but now I like them. I could do them all day.

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

when the time comes, regardless of fear I get the hell out when there's pressure behind it for me to do so. I had no pressure to get out of the balloon. That's probably why I didn't.

If you wait until there is pressure to make a "low" exit, then you'll be more likely to mess it up. Learn to do it without pressure first, and then when a true emergency need arises, you'll do it on instinct, and do it correctly.