GaVak

How close of a call was it?

I was on the base of my landing pattern when I noticed another skydiver coming in for a similar approach. I took my base a little further out (as far as I could, there were trees) and turned in for my final. As he landed, his chute crabbed over such that his canopy was about 10 feet below me. I corrected with a 20 left turn and landed with no incident.

At what point would I have been in his canopy's 'burble', and would it have dropped me to the ground?

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

The burble is behind and up from the canopy, and widens (and lessens) the farther you get from the canopy in front of you. If a canopy is straight in front or straight below you you won't hit it's burble (ie, I can fly with a camera right behind another canopy without getting burbled, not so when filming say a 4way CRW formation as then there are canopies in front but also below me). You'll know for sure when you do hit a burble ;) Effects from hitting a burble may vary from a slight "bump" which is the most likely, to something more serious, depending among other things on your altitude and your canopy's susceptibility to turbulence. If you want to explore this, ask for an experienced jumper to come fly in front of you (up high, duh). Seems you handled the situation well enough though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Man 10 feet sounds way to close for my liking. I try to work out alot higher like maybe around 1000 - 1500 feet where everyone is and how they seem to be setting up their landing approach. I think noticing that another canopy is getting close while you are on your base leg proves that you didnt really pay enough attention to others positions while you setting up to start your landing pattern.
I am no experienced jumper but i am pretty paranoid about having a collision during the landing pattern and try to prepare for landing pretty much as soon as my canopy is open.