SkyIsLove83

I just can't stay away

So, here is my story if you didn't already know.

Did my first tandem back in April. Loved it. Did another tandem pretty much right away. Decided to do AFF. Did the ground course, did my level 1 jump - was told to repeat (Ha, didn't pull. Damn thing - just couldnt get it in time). Had all the mind in the world to do this - unexpectedly had to move because I left my fiance so no more money.

Well - been upset here and there that I can't do my AFF and probably won't be anytime soon. Sitting out yesterday morning thinking, "Damn, look at that sky. I really should be jumping." So, I decided to go and do another tandem, just because.

I finally got to enjoy it. My 2nd tandem he let me take the toggles and stuff but I still didn't really have any clue what skydiving was about. So, going through AFF and learning and being able to jump with my own parachute strapped to me was pretty intense. I did great besides the not pulling in time.

So, I looked at this tandem as a total learning experience. I wanted to focus on my breathing (which I can do because its tandem), I wanted to actually pull the damn thing (which I am proud to say, I DID!) and wanted to work on altitude awareness. I wore an altimeter - he didn't.

It was great! I loved it! It gave me the confidence I lost after failing level 1 and lets me know that when its possible for me to get back into this, I got what it takes.

Skydiving is truly the only passion I have really found and it kills me everyday that I can't do it as much as I want to. I said it time and time again - this sport has not seen the last of me.

And...it was also great going to the DZ and getting hugs and encouraging words from everyone. I felt great even knowing people remembered me. The one guy who was flying a wing suit the day I did my AFF 1 was talking to me and replayed my whole jump as if it was yesterday.

What a great sport, great people and just a wonderful way of life that I know will always be there for me as soon as I am ready.

Skydivers are the greatest group of people and I am sure a majority of other fellow inexperienced skydivers would agree with me. Thank you all! :)
Just had to share my experience. Nobody I know outside of the DZ has been skydiving so it's hard for anyone to "get it."

YAY Lauren - welcome back! I've been wondering how you've been and if you were continuing on with your progression!

Glad to see the last tandem helped... we all have 'issues' at some point, but as you know, when you love to do something you work through them!

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you...

~J
"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Thanks J. I wish I could get going full speed ahead right now but it's just not in the cards. But, it will happen.

It was great to be in the air again. It felt like forever since I've been up there but its only been a couple months. Even if I can't do AFF again next year, I will definitely be doing a tandem or two.

Thanks!!!

hi lauren-

it's good to see you're back!

if you put your mind to it, and just decide that you're going to learn how to skydive, and learn how to be safe and aquire the necessary skills, then you will. i promise. aff was really, really hard for me in the beginning, and i quit twice (only for a few minutes, though...haha)- but then i found my determination again to succeed, i repeated the levels that i hadn't figured out yet, and then passed.

i set small, attainable goals for myself. first, it was to just pass the previously failed level, then it was to finish aff, then to get the A license. i'm still just a jump or two away from my A, but have set a new goal. i want to get my coach rating when i reach 100 jumps.

so set a reasonable goal for yourself, and then just go for it. you know you can do it! ;)

Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

I failed level one AFF as well. Don't worry about it, doesn't mean anything at all.

Skydiving is a completely overwhelming experience for your body when you're new, it takes "Brain Lock" to a whole new level.

Come back to the sport when you're ready, but never feel shy about stopping by any dropzone just to "hang out". Youll get the happy vibes fro just being there and talking to people. That should tide you over until the funds work to your favour.

See you in the sky!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

hi lauren-

it's good to see you're back!

if you put your mind to it, and just decide that you're going to learn how to skydive, and learn how to be safe and aquire the necessary skills, then you will. i promise. aff was really, really hard for me in the beginning, and i quit twice (only for a few minutes, though...haha)- but then i found my determination again to succeed, i repeated the levels that i hadn't figured out yet, and then passed.

i set small, attainable goals for myself. first, it was to just pass the previously failed level, then it was to finish aff, then to get the A license. i'm still just a jump or two away from my A, but have set a new goal. i want to get my coach rating when i reach 100 jumps.

so set a reasonable goal for yourself, and then just go for it. you know you can do it! ;)

Jennifer - I actually stumbled across one of your posts the other day and I said to myself, "no shit, look at her! I started AFF before she did and she got me beat by a long shot! Good for her!"

I will get back up there without a doubt. I said to a couple people at the DZ yesterday, if I didn't have a kid, I would've sold everything I had and put everything into skydiving and I know I would have.

In the meantime, I will stick around here. I don't think my feelings will go away anytime soon. It is like crack (not that I've ever been on crack) but it is certainly an addiction.

Good luck to you Jennifer and I know I am proud of you!!!

I failed level one AFF as well. Don't worry about it, doesn't mean anything at all.

Skydiving is a completely overwhelming experience for your body when you're new, it takes "Brain Lock" to a whole new level.

Come back to the sport when you're ready, but never feel shy about stopping by any dropzone just to "hang out". Youll get the happy vibes fro just being there and talking to people. That should tide you over until the funds work to your favour.

See you in the sky!

Chris - I was invited to the BBQ there next weekend actually. I already made plans but you know where I would be if I didn't. Great fun, lots of beer!

Thanks again for the encouraging words!

I did great besides the not pulling in time.

I loved this. :D Suggest you make it your sig line!

And this:

Damn, look at that sky. I really should be jumping.

which neatly paraphrases Leonardo Da Vinci: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Sounds like you've got it bad - hope you find a way to achieve your dream. :)

I did great besides the not pulling in time.

I loved this. :D Suggest you make it your sig line!

And this:

Damn, look at that sky. I really should be jumping.

which neatly paraphrases Leonardo Da Vinci: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Sounds like you've got it bad - hope you find a way to achieve your dream. :)

Now that you pointed that out, it is a good line. LOL. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I actually DaVinci's line quoted on my facebook page. Love it!