mdrejhon

Student Rig at 0.65:1 wingloading

I found this a useful article, you may too:
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/choosing1.pdf One of the reasons that I don't want to go down to 1:1 yet is that will mean I'll be jumping a 150 or smaller, and this article helps explain why that may not be such a good idea just yet.

Excellent point. I'm 163lb, plus gear would be a bit extra, which would be 185lbs. I realize that 1:1 at 150lbs peforms differently than 1:1 at 200lbs.

Probably an ideal wingloading for a first rig purchase would be 0.9 but we'll see how I do, and they'll probably have me demo a reasonably minor downsize (0.8 or 0.9) in the next couple dozen jumps.

Two wingsuit guys took advantage of the 45mph upperwinds. I think they were the off-zone landers ;)

Actually Gilles and Simon both landed directly in front of the hangar in the old packing area. :P

Edited to add: If one of those guys dropped a wind drift indicator out of the plane at full altitude it would land on their packing mat!

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hey Trevor. Nice to see you on here! That wasn't last weekend - but the weekend before. I remember seeing Simon land offzone that day I think, but I could be wrong with the person -- there were definitely two other offzone landers (other than me) during that weekend.

There was a few offzone landers in adjacent farmfield, myself included, can't remember the names. Man, there were MANY wind holds that day. [:/] ....

I sure know they're pretty accurate.

Simply put, students are best served being put on large canopies loaded significantly under 1:1, and are restricted to jumping under very little to no wind conditions. I can't remember what the maximum winds for students is though, have to check the SIM.

There are still some jumpers out there that still prefer to be jumping lightly loaded or underloaded canopies, regardless of how much experience they have, even over 1000 jumps. They just have to make sure they only jump in conditions they can handle. You want to be sure you have enough forward speed for best manuevering to the target you want to land on safely.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The USPA SIM says 14mph. As it's Canada, it's the PIM. I think it's more or less similiar, although I am not sure what the exact figure.

I did several flare tests during play altitude above 2000ft on my 16th jump (fast flare, slow flare, medium flare, half-brakes, 75% brakes, flare turn left, flare turn right).

As a result, my landing for the solo graduation jump (17th) was pillow soft like stepping down one or two steps, rather than jumping down three or four steps on previous jumps. I almost avoided stepping forward on that landing. I did a minor flare speed adjustment.

I'd really appreciate slightly fewer wind holds though ;), but not at the expense of safety so it's definitely my instructor's call. I'm imagining that they'll recommend 0.9 or thereabouts for my first rig that I buy in a few months (I'll be at jump 40-50 or so), we'll see. If I end up renting longer, maybe 1.0 wingloading.

Jump alot and you will progress to that point. It takes some a little bit longer than others, but hey.. in the grand scheme of things when you have thousands of jumps, you won't care whether you did 20 jumps on a Manta or 100.

At our dropzone Mark, it won't necessarily be the decision of just one instructor specifically, mainly because the chance that your original instructor will be around to see all of your landings is pretty slim. It will be a collaberative decision of all the instructors, Gilles, Will , Fuzzy, Andrea, Frank, John, and ultimately Tom (oops can't forget "Downwind Dean ;)").

But the time will come. When it comes to buying gear, ask Will, Gilles, or Tom. They will face you in the right direction with regards to what to buy and also how much you should be paying for it and also do inspections and whatnot for you. These guys have been around the block a few times. You WILL get BETTER advice from them than you will get here guaranteed. (no offence dzdotcommers;) Heck Tom's not only been around the block, he helped pave it in the first place.

Have fun with the Otter next weekend while I'm at work. :(

Don't forget to bring your beer on Friday because they have a keg on Saturday. Oh yeah, bring $10 on Sat for the keg. Save me one though, I'll be there on Monday. B|

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

At our dropzone Mark, it won't necessarily be the decision of just one instructor specifically, mainly because the chance that your original instructor will be around to see all of your landings is pretty slim. It will be a collaberative decision of all the instructors, Gilles, Will , Fuzzy, Andrea, Frank, John, and ultimately Tom (oops can't forget "Downwind Dean ").

Oh, definitely (and a good point too). In a private message, I mentioned I'd actually actually be asking multiple instructors.

See you this weekend!