mikki4378

Beginner

Hello there :)
i was woundering if anyone can help me. me and my partner are beginning our skydiving adventure this year and we have been looking at complete rigs but there are so many different names and different cell size parachutes to choose from we honetly dont know which would be best for us.
Any suggestions will be much appriciated.
Thank you :)

Hi,

You don't want to go buying anything yet. First you'll jump student gear, after that you'll generally be still on bigger canopies but you can downsize a bit, usually you can rent different sizes and different types of canopies so you can gradually come down in size (depending on where you jump there may or may not be a lot of rules about what you can jump when) and you find a type of canopy you like best.

When you got a better idea of 1) whether you'll actually want to CONTINUE skydiving, b) have a bit of an idea what you'll want in gear (size, performance, need for freefly-proof or not, budget) and c) your instructors have a pretty good idea what you'll be happy with and what you'll be able to handle, go start looking for a rig. Usually you'll buy a rig anywhere from 25 jumps to 100+ jumps.

When you are going through your student progression you'll gradually buy stuff like your own altimeter, goggles, a helmet, maybe your first suit, some gloves maybe. Focus on all that first.

The rig will come later on!

Have a look around the gear forum and try a search, plenty of people have asked about their first set of gear too ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

DO NOT BUY A RIG NOW!

Buying a rig now is:

Unneccessary: Skydiving schools provide gear in the cost of instruction.

Unwise: You may discover that you don't like skydiving.

Unhelpful: Your gear needs will evolve rather quickly as a student. The gear that is right for you now probably won't be what you need after 25 jumps.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!