Kat4821

What should happen if this happens?

I haven't been confronted with a situation like this, so I was wondering what is SUPPOSED to happen?

Do you just go up to him and tell him it wasn't cool or do you tell someone? What are the repercussions for something like that happens?

Im just trying to educate myself a bit.

http://iloveskydiving.org/view/videos/friday-freakout-skydive-kamikaze-tracking-jump-close-call-fatality/

In my opinion, the cameraman did not have the skills to be on the jump.
If you want to bellyfly, then go on a bellyjump.
If you want to freefly/track but don't have the skills then go on jumps with smaler groups.

I don't know if everyone else pulled very low or he pulled high, but when everyone else started tracking away he pulled "in the formation".:S

Hellis

In my opinion, the cameraman did not have the skills to be on the jump.
If you want to freefly/track but don't have the skills then go on jumps with smaler groups.

I don't know if everyone else pulled very low or he pulled high, but when everyone else started tracking away he pulled "in the formation".:S

in his defense you could say he maybe had just experienced his very first close encounter with the grim reaper...
his following approach of the formation was sensible and skilled enough, wasn't it?
But I totally agree with you on his "pulling in the formation" ... Apparently there where a couple more jumpers on this particular jump that didn't make it to the formation and pulling inside this mess without even a barrel roll is just stupid...

but everything that needs to be said about this kind of jumps was already perfectly covered by bryan burke http://www.dropzone.com/safety/General_Safety/Implications_of_Recent_Tracking_Tracing_and_Wingsuit_Incidents_938.html

glad everybody was okay... learn to say no to those poorly planned, messy jumps!!

I hope, they had a thoroughly executed talk to everybody afterwards, including a baseball bat and cold water for the one endangering the camerajumper ... if you know what I mean ...>:(B|
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Pobrause

***In my opinion, the cameraman did not have the skills to be on the jump.

in his defense you could say he maybe had just experienced his very first close encounter with the grim reaper...
his following approach of the formation was sensible and skilled enough, wasn't it?
But I totally agree with you on his "pulling in the formation" ... Apparently there where a couple more jumpers on this particular jump that didn't make it to the formation and pulling inside this mess without even a barrel roll is just stupid...

but everything that needs to be said about this kind of jumps was already perfectly covered by bryan burke http://www.dropzone.com/safety/General_Safety/Implications_of_Recent_Tracking_Tracing_and_Wingsuit_Incidents_938.html

glad everybody was okay... learn to say no to those poorly planned, messy jumps!!

I hope, they had a thoroughly executed talk to everybody afterwards, including a baseball bat and cold water for the one endangering the camerajumper ... if you know what I mean ...>:(B|

Again, in my opinion..
It seems he is on his belly all the time, and only because the "group" slows down he is able to catch up.
Generally you put the best divers out last because the can catch up.
This means the cameraman, who based on this video, only can do belly is in the middle of a group who is falling away from him and good divers above him speeding down.

Even if he did all good after the "incident" by arching to get down to the others the big mistake was to not know his limit (or know and not care) while he was on the ground.

Yes he might have got scared by the "incident", but he was on belly from exit, and he got on a jump over his skillevel.

Anyone know how many there was on this jump?

Lots of stuff going wrong in this video.

It looks like a freeflown "base" of a tracking jump was being funneled. The direction they were trying to go wasn't super clear either, I would guess not much of a plan as to flight path.

The guy shooting video was NOT making a good effort to stay with the skydive and I would guess that has to do with a failure to plan the dive / flight path.

The zoomy dude fucked up because he was flying faster than he could maintain his field of view. I mean, it can be hard when there is a person where you don't expect them sooooo.

All of these people made mistakes.

I have led plenty of tracking dives and even when some people get left behind we don't have these problems because we have an established idea of where everyone should go and the direction everyone should be flying at what point in the jump.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Kat4821

I haven't been confronted with a situation like this, so I was wondering what is SUPPOSED to happen?

Do you just go up to him and tell him it wasn't cool or do you tell someone? What are the repercussions for something like that happens?

Im just trying to educate myself a bit.

http://iloveskydiving.org/view/videos/friday-freakout-skydive-kamikaze-tracking-jump-close-call-fatality/

Hard to say without knowing what was supposed to be going on, compared to what actually happened.

I would definitely have an extensive debrief afterwards!

I'm guessing your intent with the post is regarding how to approach and what to say to the fast diver...

Depends who was out of place or not doing what they were supposed to be doing. No matter who was 'at fault' i'd have a conversation with him.

IF nothing else - that vid is a prime example of why one should stay within their own personal skill-set limitations AND stay of of jumps with people that are pushing it.

As has been said many times before - you can do everything right in this sport, and STILL die.

Only jump with people you trust...see my sig like for further direction on that. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~